Nov 13, 2013, 7:19 PM EDT
The first game of the Champions Classic doubleheader between No. 1 Kentucky and No. 2 Michigan State was the second-most viewed non-conference college basketball game ever aired on ESPN.
The game averaged just over four million viewers and scored a 2.6 rating. The current record came when No. 1 Memphis played No. 2 Tennessee in February of 2008, a game that averaged 5,281,000 viewers and had a 3.2 rating.
The nightcap scored impressive numbers despite being so late, as No. 4 Duke taking on No. 5 Kansas averaged 2,977,000 viewers and a 2.1 rating.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)