Nov 14, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
Oregon State has struggled in recent years, and the beginning of this season has been no different. The Beavers lost to Coppin State in their opener and struggled to deal with Portland last night.
But the program reached back to their glory years on Thursday, as the Beavers earned a commitment from Gary Payton II. The elder Payton starred for the Beavers in the late 80s and early 90s.
Payton II — who was given the nickname “The Mitten” to pay homage to his dad’s nickname, ‘The Glove’ — was not exactly a highly-regarded recruit. He picked the Beavers over some quality mid-major programs like Utah State and St. Mary’s, but the product of Salt Lake Community College isn’t expected to be a program changing commitment.
He’s a role player, which means that, while getting plenty of publicity for his lineage and his name, Craig Robinson still has quite a bit of work to do in Corvallis.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)