Nov 14, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
After playing just one game at Middle Tennessee, junior guard Ronald Ross has decided to leave the program according to Adam Sparks of the Murfreesboro (Tenn.) Daily News Journal. Ross, who averaged 15.8 points per game in two seasons at Indian Hills JC, played five minutes in the Blue Raiders’ season-opening win over Southern.
Ross, a junior college transfer and 6-foot-3 guard, will finish out the fall semester at MTSU and then transfer to a different school. Davis said Ross is in good academic standing and has had no disciplinary problems at MTSU. Davis said Ross simply was “not the right fit,” but he did not elaborate.
“Ronald Ross has some really good qualities and he has done well in school,” Davis said. “But both of us agree he would be a better fit at another program. I hope he does really well in the future.”
The Blue Raiders moved to 2-0 on the season with a 77-70 win over North Florida on Wednesday, and five players are currently averaging at least nine points per game with shooting guard Kerry Hammonds II leading the way at 14.0 points per game. Guard Marcus Tarrance (13.5 ppg) is second on the team in scoring, with forwards Neiko Hunter (12.5) and Shawn Jones (11.0) next in line.
According to the report Ross was unable to earn a spot in the rotation during the preseason.
Davis stated that while unsure of what kind of impact playing those five minutes would have on the amount of eligibility Ross would have remaining, the school would do what it could to help the guard get the full two years. Earlier this fall, in clearing Georgetown big man Joshua Smith to play immediately, the NCAA gave Smith two full seasons of eligibility despite the fact that he played six games at UCLA during the 2012-13 season before deciding to transfer.
Could that decision benefit Ross when he picks a new destination? Given the way in which transfer cases have been handled recently, that seems to be anyone’s guess.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)