Nov 14, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
After playing just one game at Middle Tennessee, junior guard Ronald Ross has decided to leave the program according to Adam Sparks of the Murfreesboro (Tenn.) Daily News Journal. Ross, who averaged 15.8 points per game in two seasons at Indian Hills JC, played five minutes in the Blue Raiders’ season-opening win over Southern.
Ross, a junior college transfer and 6-foot-3 guard, will finish out the fall semester at MTSU and then transfer to a different school. Davis said Ross is in good academic standing and has had no disciplinary problems at MTSU. Davis said Ross simply was “not the right fit,” but he did not elaborate.
“Ronald Ross has some really good qualities and he has done well in school,” Davis said. “But both of us agree he would be a better fit at another program. I hope he does really well in the future.”
The Blue Raiders moved to 2-0 on the season with a 77-70 win over North Florida on Wednesday, and five players are currently averaging at least nine points per game with shooting guard Kerry Hammonds II leading the way at 14.0 points per game. Guard Marcus Tarrance (13.5 ppg) is second on the team in scoring, with forwards Neiko Hunter (12.5) and Shawn Jones (11.0) next in line.
According to the report Ross was unable to earn a spot in the rotation during the preseason.
Davis stated that while unsure of what kind of impact playing those five minutes would have on the amount of eligibility Ross would have remaining, the school would do what it could to help the guard get the full two years. Earlier this fall, in clearing Georgetown big man Joshua Smith to play immediately, the NCAA gave Smith two full seasons of eligibility despite the fact that he played six games at UCLA during the 2012-13 season before deciding to transfer.
Could that decision benefit Ross when he picks a new destination? Given the way in which transfer cases have been handled recently, that seems to be anyone’s guess.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)