Nov 14, 2013, 4:12 PM EST
After playing just one game at Middle Tennessee, junior guard Ronald Ross has decided to leave the program according to Adam Sparks of the Murfreesboro (Tenn.) Daily News Journal. Ross, who averaged 15.8 points per game in two seasons at Indian Hills JC, played five minutes in the Blue Raiders’ season-opening win over Southern.
Ross, a junior college transfer and 6-foot-3 guard, will finish out the fall semester at MTSU and then transfer to a different school. Davis said Ross is in good academic standing and has had no disciplinary problems at MTSU. Davis said Ross simply was “not the right fit,” but he did not elaborate.
“Ronald Ross has some really good qualities and he has done well in school,” Davis said. “But both of us agree he would be a better fit at another program. I hope he does really well in the future.”
The Blue Raiders moved to 2-0 on the season with a 77-70 win over North Florida on Wednesday, and five players are currently averaging at least nine points per game with shooting guard Kerry Hammonds II leading the way at 14.0 points per game. Guard Marcus Tarrance (13.5 ppg) is second on the team in scoring, with forwards Neiko Hunter (12.5) and Shawn Jones (11.0) next in line.
According to the report Ross was unable to earn a spot in the rotation during the preseason.
Davis stated that while unsure of what kind of impact playing those five minutes would have on the amount of eligibility Ross would have remaining, the school would do what it could to help the guard get the full two years. Earlier this fall, in clearing Georgetown big man Joshua Smith to play immediately, the NCAA gave Smith two full seasons of eligibility despite the fact that he played six games at UCLA during the 2012-13 season before deciding to transfer.
Could that decision benefit Ross when he picks a new destination? Given the way in which transfer cases have been handled recently, that seems to be anyone’s guess.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)