Nov 14, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Stanley Johnson to announce college decision Friday (Scout)
The early signing period began on Wednesday, and Friday’s setting up to be a busy day on the recruiting trail. In addition to Cliff Alexander, Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor , five-star guard Stanley Johnson will announce his decision as well. The three schools in the running for the Mater Dei HS (Calif.) product are Arizona, Kentucky and USC.
After tragedy, Andre Dawkins shares his personal journey (Sports Illustrated)
Duke senior guard Andre Dawkins returned to the program after spending the 2012-13 year away from the program as he dealt with the passing of his sister, taking the time to not only address that but his own bout with depression.
He’s back! Marshall Henderson to return to the court Saturday (Associated Press)
Ole Miss’ lone senior will make his season debut on Saturday against Coastal Carolina, with Henderson’s three-game suspension having run its course. Henderson helped lead the Rebels to an SEC tournament title last season, but he’ll have more heavy lifting to do with Reginald Buckner and Murphy Holloway no longer in the front court.
“Miscommunication” led to Dez Wells playing just five first-half minutes (CSN Washington)
Maryland struggled for the first 25 minutes or so of their 69-44 win over Abilene Christian, and as the first half wore on many wondered why Dez Wells remained on the bench. According to head coach Mark Turgeon Wells playing just five minutes in the first half was a result of “miscommunication,” but there will be no lingering issues regarding the matter.
New rules mean more zone for Pitt (Beaver County Times)
Pitt’s man-to-man defense has been a staple of the Jamie Dixon era (and Ben Howland before him), but with the new rules aiming to remove contact both on and off the ball adjustments need to be made. One of those for the Panthers: play more zone, with the defense proving to be a catalyst in their comfortable win over Fresno State.
Eastern Kentucky ties OVC record with 20 three-pointers (Louisville Courier-Journal)
A record nearly fell in the Colonels’ 114-45 win over Warren Wilson College, as EKU tied the OVC record for made three-pointers in a game with 20. EKU needed 39 attempts to do so, and they led 61-17 at the intermission.
Jones makes most of opportunity against VCU (Richmond Times-Dispatch)
Virginia’s free throw shooting left something to be desired in their 59-56 loss to VCU, but one positive was the play of Teven Jones. With Evan Nolte out due to injury Jones took advantage of his nine minutes on the floor, and not sulking after receiving little playing time in the Cavaliers’ season-opening win over James Madison.
Jeff Walz to run up $5,000 beer tab (Louisville Courier-Journal)
In order to say “thanks” to fans who attend his team’s games, Louisville women’s basketball coach Jeff Walz is buying the first 2,500 (of age) fans a beer at the team’s Preseason NIT semifinal game against LSU on Thursday
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 3
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)