Nov 15, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
During Sean Miller’s tenure at Arizona, the program’s annually been in the running for many of the nation’s top recruits and they’ve landed their fair share. On Friday the Wildcats received a verbal commitment from one of the best players in the class, as Mater Dei HS (Calif.) wing Stanley Johnson announced his decision to attend the Pac-12 school on national television.
Johnson, a consensus Top 10 player, was also considering Kentucky and USC before making his decision official. He becomes the fourth commitment in the 2014 class for Arizona, joining guards Parker Jackson-Cartwright and Kadeem Allen (JUCO) and forward Craig Victor.
As a junior at Mater Dei Johnson posted averages of 19.4 points and 8.9 rebounds per game, and he’s been a highly valuable member of three California CIF Division I state champion squads. Johnson is the latest product of the Oakland Soldiers grassroots program to pick Arizona during Miller’s tenure. Nick Johnson and Josiah Turner were the first two, followed by Brandon Ashley and then Aaron Gordon.
If operating under the assumption that Gordon’s off to the next level at the end of this season, Johnson will certainly help the Wildcats account for that departure on the wing. Johnson’s ability to score from anywhere on the floor, along with his competitiveness and toughness, will benefit the Wildcats immediately.
And it isn’t as if the Wildcats will lack depth on the wing either, as Nick Johnson has another season of eligibility remaining and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Elliott Pitts and Gabe York all have multiple seasons remaining. Johnson would have been a game-changing recruit for Andy Enfield at USC, and had he committed to attend Kentucky an already strong class would get even stronger. But the same can be said for Arizona, with Johnson and Craig Victor anchoring one of the best recruiting classes in 2014.
This class, when combined with the players likely to return to Tucson in 2014, should be enough to keep the program entrenched atop the Pac-12 with an eye towards contending nationally as well.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)