Nov 15, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Georgia Tech at Georgia (7:00 p.m.; ESPN3)
On a night that lacks national buzz, the annual rivalry game between the Yellow Jackets and Bulldogs is an important one for both programs. Georgia Tech, with their returnees including guard Marcus Georges-Hunt and center Daniel Miller, has the look of a team capable of improving its standing with the ACC this season. As for Georgia, on the heels of losing Kentavious Caldwell-Pope they certainly can use a win over the state’s other major basketball program. Nemanja Djurisic led the way with 12 points in Georgia’s season-opening win over Wofford, and balance will be the key for them in 2013-14.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: Utah (by UC Davis)
Larry Krystkowiak’s Utes are 1-0 on the season, with a 128-44 victory over Evergreen State being the lone result. It’s safe to say that Evergreen State doesn’t have a player the caliber of UC Davis junior guard Corey Hawkins, who averaged 20.3 points, 5.6 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game in 2012-13. Utah does have some talented pieces, most notably forwards Jordan Loveridge and Delon Wright, but the Aggies play an entertaining brand of basketball and return both Ryan Sypkens (14.1 ppg) and J.T. Adenrale (12.6, 5.9) along with Hawkins. One night after UC Irvine won at Washington, don’t be surprised if there’s another “Big West over Pac-12″ result.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE NIGHT: Nevada at San Francisco (10:00 p.m.)
The Dons look to remain undefeated, but they’ll be tested by a Wolf Pack squad that features senior point guard Deonte Burton. Burton’s a high-scoring floor general who’s one of the best at the position in the country. But USF has a very good veteran point guard of its own in senior Cody Doolin. The difference-maker: that could be San Francisco senior forward Cole Dickerson, who was one of the nation’s best rebounders last season. If Nevada struggles inside as they did last year, Dickerson could be in line for a big night.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) Amongst the winners on the recruiting trail today just one is in action tonight: No. 4 Duke, which hosts a Florida Atlantic team they’ll be expected to soundly defeat (7:00 p.m.). The thing to watch: whether or not the Blue Devils come out a bit sluggish after their tough game against Kansas on Tuesday. Come out aggressive and in sync, and this game’s over before halftime.
2) Oakland will be without the services of Duke Mondy and Dante Williams when they take on California in Berkeley (11:00 p.m., Pac-12 Networks), as the two were sent home by head coach Greg Kampe. The Golden Grizzlies will still have high-scoring guard Travis Bader, but they’ll have their hands full with Justin Cobbs and company.
3) Arizona State center Jordan Bachynski enters tonight’s game against Idaho State (9:00 p.m., Pac-12 Network) five blocked shots away from passing Mario Bennett as the school’s all-time leader in blocks. Plus, it’s another chance to watch the electric Jahii Carson as well.
4) Two old rivals who are expected to contend in their respective conferences meet in Las Cruces, as UTEP visits New Mexico State (9:00 p.m., ESPN3). Redshirt freshman center Matt Willms received high praise during the preseason, and he’ll have to hold his own with NMSU’s Sim Bhullar and Tshilidzi Nephawe if the Miners are to pick up the road victory.
5) Three days removed from a solid comeback victory over West Virginia, Virginia Tech hosts Western Carolina (7:00 p.m., ESPN3) in a game that could be dangerous for the Hokies. Trey Sumler was on fire in the second half of the Catamounts’ loss to No. 18 Oregon earlier this week, and he has the potential to do the same to Virginia Tech.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25:
- Columbia at No. 2 Michigan State (9:00 p.m.; BTN)
- Cornell at No. 3 Louisville (7:00 p.m.; ESPN3)
- Arkansas-Pine Bluff at No. 8 Oklahoma State (8:00 p.m.)
- Holy Cross at No. 12 North Carolina (8:00 p.m.; ESPNU)
- Wagner at St. John’s (6:00 p.m.; Fox Sports 2)
- Samford at Indiana (7:00 p.m.; BTN)
- Georgia Tech at Georgia (7:00 p.m.; ESPN3)
- Stephen F. Austin at Texas (8:00 p.m.; LHN)
- Lipscomb at Vanderbilt (8:00 p.m.)
- Morehead State at Xavier (8:00 p.m.; Fox Sports 2)
- UTEP at New Mexico State (9:00 p.m.; ESPN3)
- Oakland at California (11:00 p.m.; Pac-12 Network)
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)