Nov 15, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
The Oakland Golden Grizzlies’ road trip to California looked to have taken a turn for the worse just hours before they play at California, as two players were reportedly arrested on charges of felony rape. Duke Mondy and Dante Williams were reportedly being held on $100,000 bond, with Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com receiving confirmation from a member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
However, according to Matt Norlander of CBSSports.com no charges were filed and the players were released.
“They will be appropriately suspended upon review of the situation,” Oakland head coach Greg Kampe, who added that Mondy and Williams met the alleged victim at Wednesday’s Clippers game at Staples Center, told Norlander. “This was more than going past curfew, more than breaking of team policy. It’s more than that. I take it very seriously, am apologetic to our fans, apologetic to college basketball that something like this would happen.”
When reached via email by NBC Sports, an Oakland spokesperson issued the following statement:
“Local California authorities have informed us that they will not proceed with formal criminal charges. However, both players have been placed on interim suspension from the team pending an internal review.”
Both players were sent back to Michigan ahead of tonight’s game.
Mondy started and played 35 minutes in the 91-60 loss, finishing with seven points (2-for-12 FG), six rebounds and six assists. Williams, a freshman, failed to score in 11 minutes of action. Mondy began his collegiate career at Providence, playing two seasons for Keno Davis before making the move to Oakland after new (at the time) head coach Ed Cooley released him from his scholarship.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 0
- South Dakota State’s Cody Larson thrives despite return home amidst unmet expectations 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 7
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)