Nov 15, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
The Oakland Golden Grizzlies’ road trip to California looked to have taken a turn for the worse just hours before they play at California, as two players were reportedly arrested on charges of felony rape. Duke Mondy and Dante Williams were reportedly being held on $100,000 bond, with Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com receiving confirmation from a member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
However, according to Matt Norlander of CBSSports.com no charges were filed and the players were released.
“They will be appropriately suspended upon review of the situation,” Oakland head coach Greg Kampe, who added that Mondy and Williams met the alleged victim at Wednesday’s Clippers game at Staples Center, told Norlander. “This was more than going past curfew, more than breaking of team policy. It’s more than that. I take it very seriously, am apologetic to our fans, apologetic to college basketball that something like this would happen.”
When reached via email by NBC Sports, an Oakland spokesperson issued the following statement:
“Local California authorities have informed us that they will not proceed with formal criminal charges. However, both players have been placed on interim suspension from the team pending an internal review.”
Both players were sent back to Michigan ahead of tonight’s game.
Mondy started and played 35 minutes in the 91-60 loss, finishing with seven points (2-for-12 FG), six rebounds and six assists. Williams, a freshman, failed to score in 11 minutes of action. Mondy began his collegiate career at Providence, playing two seasons for Keno Davis before making the move to Oakland after new (at the time) head coach Ed Cooley released him from his scholarship.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)