Nov 15, 2013, 2:49 PM EST
The Oakland Golden Grizzlies’ road trip to California looked to have taken a turn for the worse just hours before they play at California, as two players were reportedly arrested on charges of felony rape. Duke Mondy and Dante Williams were reportedly being held on $100,000 bond, with Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com receiving confirmation from a member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
However, according to Matt Norlander of CBSSports.com no charges were filed and the players were released.
“They will be appropriately suspended upon review of the situation,” Oakland head coach Greg Kampe, who added that Mondy and Williams met the alleged victim at Wednesday’s Clippers game at Staples Center, told Norlander. “This was more than going past curfew, more than breaking of team policy. It’s more than that. I take it very seriously, am apologetic to our fans, apologetic to college basketball that something like this would happen.”
When reached via email by NBC Sports, an Oakland spokesperson issued the following statement:
“Local California authorities have informed us that they will not proceed with formal criminal charges. However, both players have been placed on interim suspension from the team pending an internal review.”
Both players were sent back to Michigan ahead of tonight’s game.
Mondy started and played 35 minutes in the 91-60 loss, finishing with seven points (2-for-12 FG), six rebounds and six assists. Williams, a freshman, failed to score in 11 minutes of action. Mondy began his collegiate career at Providence, playing two seasons for Keno Davis before making the move to Oakland after new (at the time) head coach Ed Cooley released him from his scholarship.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)