Nov 15, 2013, 2:49 PM EST
The Oakland Golden Grizzlies’ road trip to California looked to have taken a turn for the worse just hours before they play at California, as two players were reportedly arrested on charges of felony rape. Duke Mondy and Dante Williams were reportedly being held on $100,000 bond, with Gary Parrish of CBSSports.com receiving confirmation from a member of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
However, according to Matt Norlander of CBSSports.com no charges were filed and the players were released.
“They will be appropriately suspended upon review of the situation,” Oakland head coach Greg Kampe, who added that Mondy and Williams met the alleged victim at Wednesday’s Clippers game at Staples Center, told Norlander. “This was more than going past curfew, more than breaking of team policy. It’s more than that. I take it very seriously, am apologetic to our fans, apologetic to college basketball that something like this would happen.”
When reached via email by NBC Sports, an Oakland spokesperson issued the following statement:
“Local California authorities have informed us that they will not proceed with formal criminal charges. However, both players have been placed on interim suspension from the team pending an internal review.”
Both players were sent back to Michigan ahead of tonight’s game.
Mondy started and played 35 minutes in the 91-60 loss, finishing with seven points (2-for-12 FG), six rebounds and six assists. Williams, a freshman, failed to score in 11 minutes of action. Mondy began his collegiate career at Providence, playing two seasons for Keno Davis before making the move to Oakland after new (at the time) head coach Ed Cooley released him from his scholarship.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)