Nov 15, 2013, 2:02 AM EDT
Every year, we expect Saint Mary’s to finally drop off, to come back down to earth. I mean, there’s only so many times that a team can lose their star — their most important player, the guy that the entire team is built around — before the program eventually has to enter rebuilding mode.
It didn’t happen when Omar Samhan graduated. It didn’t happen when Mickey McConnell graduated. Will it happen now that Matthew Dellavedova has graduated?
At this point?
The Gaels picked up their third notable win early in the season as they knocked off North Dakota State 78-65 on Thursday night. That came on the heels of wins over Akron and Louisiana Tech. Now I know what you’re thinking: why should I be impressed with wins over North Dakota State, Akron and Louisiana Tech? Is the fact that they are a favorite to win the Summit, the MAC and Conference USA this season enough of a reason?
Big man Brad Waldow continued his terrific start to the year by going for 18 points, 10 boards, five assists and three blocks, while Stephen Holt — who entered the game averaging 16.0 points, 6.5 assists and 5.5 boards — went 1-for-7 from the field but notched eight boards and six assists.
The Gaels may not have done anything to capture national attention just yet, but picking up three wins that could all end up being RPI top 100 wins in the first week of the season is pretty impressive.
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)