Nov 16, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
Grinnell likes to get up and down and get buckets at a level second-to-none in any level of college basketball. They push the tempo and constantly put up absurd point totals at the Division III level and it was highlighted last season by sophomore Jack Taylor’s NCAA record 138-point performance in a Grinnell win over Faith Baptist Bible.
That was in Grinnell’s season debut last season and for this season’s debut, Taylor put in 71 points on 23-of-52 attempts, including 14 three-pointers in a 144-99 win over Finlandia.
The 71-point outing puts Taylor, a 5-foot-10, 165-pound guard from Black River Falls, Wisconsin in two of the top four scoring outings in NCAA Division III history and it shouldn’t come as any surprise that Grinnell players hold the other two top spots as well.
“I don’t know if 138 is possible again but I think it shows people that I can score with the basketball — that it wasn’t just a one-time fluke last year,” Taylor said in a postgame telephone interview with USA Today.
Taylor has plenty of time to put up more high-scoring performances in his career and it will be interesting to see if he can put up any more big performances and come close to 138.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)