Nov 16, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
When No. 19 Marquette went into halftime of its sold-out home game against No. 10 Ohio State, Golden Eagle fans must have been thinking the Marquette offense would get better after a 19-19 halftime score that was the lowest cumulative total in college basketball this season.
They were wrong.
Marquette only mustered 16 points in the second half of a 52-35 loss Saturday afternoon at the Bradley Center. At one point, the Golden Eagles went 12 minutes in the second half without a made field goal as they fell behind by as much as 20.
The underrated Marquette fanbase was jacked up for the noon matchup of top-25 teams, but the Golden Eagles shot 18.9 percent from the field on 10-of-53 shooting and turned the ball over 20 times.
Marquette’s starting five was 3-for-28 from the field, and, off the bench, Todd Mayo was 3-for-15 with five turnovers in a game he will want to soon forget. Davonte Gardner was three-for-six from the field and had 10 points, but was often swarmed by Ohio State’s defense, which deserves a ton of credit for helping create Marquette’s offensive issues.
Obviously everyone going cold and facing a good defense in the same game is never a good combination, but Marquette will need to find a better offensive rhythm and some consistent scorers in order to win games.
Marquette can be happy with holding the No. 10 team in America to 52 points, but they’ll need to improve their own offense against elite defenses if they want to make a run in March.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)