Nov 16, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
When No. 19 Marquette went into halftime of its sold-out home game against No. 10 Ohio State, Golden Eagle fans must have been thinking the Marquette offense would get better after a 19-19 halftime score that was the lowest cumulative total in college basketball this season.
They were wrong.
Marquette only mustered 16 points in the second half of a 52-35 loss Saturday afternoon at the Bradley Center. At one point, the Golden Eagles went 12 minutes in the second half without a made field goal as they fell behind by as much as 20.
The underrated Marquette fanbase was jacked up for the noon matchup of top-25 teams, but the Golden Eagles shot 18.9 percent from the field on 10-of-53 shooting and turned the ball over 20 times.
Marquette’s starting five was 3-for-28 from the field, and, off the bench, Todd Mayo was 3-for-15 with five turnovers in a game he will want to soon forget. Davonte Gardner was three-for-six from the field and had 10 points, but was often swarmed by Ohio State’s defense, which deserves a ton of credit for helping create Marquette’s offensive issues.
Obviously everyone going cold and facing a good defense in the same game is never a good combination, but Marquette will need to find a better offensive rhythm and some consistent scorers in order to win games.
Marquette can be happy with holding the No. 10 team in America to 52 points, but they’ll need to improve their own offense against elite defenses if they want to make a run in March.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)