Nov 16, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
When No. 19 Marquette went into halftime of its sold-out home game against No. 10 Ohio State, Golden Eagle fans must have been thinking the Marquette offense would get better after a 19-19 halftime score that was the lowest cumulative total in college basketball this season.
They were wrong.
Marquette only mustered 16 points in the second half of a 52-35 loss Saturday afternoon at the Bradley Center. At one point, the Golden Eagles went 12 minutes in the second half without a made field goal as they fell behind by as much as 20.
The underrated Marquette fanbase was jacked up for the noon matchup of top-25 teams, but the Golden Eagles shot 18.9 percent from the field on 10-of-53 shooting and turned the ball over 20 times.
Marquette’s starting five was 3-for-28 from the field, and, off the bench, Todd Mayo was 3-for-15 with five turnovers in a game he will want to soon forget. Davonte Gardner was three-for-six from the field and had 10 points, but was often swarmed by Ohio State’s defense, which deserves a ton of credit for helping create Marquette’s offensive issues.
Obviously everyone going cold and facing a good defense in the same game is never a good combination, but Marquette will need to find a better offensive rhythm and some consistent scorers in order to win games.
Marquette can be happy with holding the No. 10 team in America to 52 points, but they’ll need to improve their own offense against elite defenses if they want to make a run in March.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)