Nov 16, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
When No. 19 Marquette went into halftime of its sold-out home game against No. 10 Ohio State, Golden Eagle fans must have been thinking the Marquette offense would get better after a 19-19 halftime score that was the lowest cumulative total in college basketball this season.
They were wrong.
Marquette only mustered 16 points in the second half of a 52-35 loss Saturday afternoon at the Bradley Center. At one point, the Golden Eagles went 12 minutes in the second half without a made field goal as they fell behind by as much as 20.
The underrated Marquette fanbase was jacked up for the noon matchup of top-25 teams, but the Golden Eagles shot 18.9 percent from the field on 10-of-53 shooting and turned the ball over 20 times.
Marquette’s starting five was 3-for-28 from the field, and, off the bench, Todd Mayo was 3-for-15 with five turnovers in a game he will want to soon forget. Davonte Gardner was three-for-six from the field and had 10 points, but was often swarmed by Ohio State’s defense, which deserves a ton of credit for helping create Marquette’s offensive issues.
Obviously everyone going cold and facing a good defense in the same game is never a good combination, but Marquette will need to find a better offensive rhythm and some consistent scorers in order to win games.
Marquette can be happy with holding the No. 10 team in America to 52 points, but they’ll need to improve their own offense against elite defenses if they want to make a run in March.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)