Nov 17, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
After beating Boston College and LSU to start the season, Derek Kellogg’s UMass Minutemen welcomed the previously undefeated Youngstown State Penguins to the Mullins Center. UMass, a team that should contend in the Atlantic 10 with VCU and Saint Louis leading the way, took care of business to the tune of an 85-69 victory.
Cady Lalanne continued his run of double-doubles with 13 points and 15 rebounds, and point guard Chaz Williams led the way offensively with 19 points to go along with 11 assists. But the highlight of the game was provided by forward Raphiael Putney, who took full advantage of an open lane to the basket. Impressive hang-time as well, as he took off from the Atlantic 10 logo.
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (9)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)