Nov 18, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
There’s a wild story coming out of Hawaii today, as a fight that erupted behind the West Virginia bench during a women’s basketball game left Hawaii’s athletic director injured.
Moments after the game while Bank of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Classic tournament awards were being prepared, a fight broke out behind the West Virginia bench among Mountaineers fans, the visiting team, and at least one UH fan.
Jay appeared to try to intervene and emerged from the fracas a few minutes later holding his face. He lay kneeling close to the center court “H” for more than 10 minutes while people attended to him.
“He was either stomped, hit with a chair or punched,” Beeman said of Jay. “He was in the middle of it, but he did a remarkable job of trying to break things up. People lost their minds. Talk about mob mentality. People were looking for a reason to fight and be ignorant. I hope Ben is OK but he got hit really good.”
The wife of West Virginia coach Mike Carey also fainted during the melee.
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)