Nov 18, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
There’s a wild story coming out of Hawaii today, as a fight that erupted behind the West Virginia bench during a women’s basketball game left Hawaii’s athletic director injured.
Moments after the game while Bank of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Classic tournament awards were being prepared, a fight broke out behind the West Virginia bench among Mountaineers fans, the visiting team, and at least one UH fan.
Jay appeared to try to intervene and emerged from the fracas a few minutes later holding his face. He lay kneeling close to the center court “H” for more than 10 minutes while people attended to him.
“He was either stomped, hit with a chair or punched,” Beeman said of Jay. “He was in the middle of it, but he did a remarkable job of trying to break things up. People lost their minds. Talk about mob mentality. People were looking for a reason to fight and be ignorant. I hope Ben is OK but he got hit really good.”
The wife of West Virginia coach Mike Carey also fainted during the melee.
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 1
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 1
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 54
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 8
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 13
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 3
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 11
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (54)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten, SEC champions headed to Indy (25)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)