Nov 18, 2013, 10:34 AM EDT
There’s a wild story coming out of Hawaii today, as a fight that erupted behind the West Virginia bench during a women’s basketball game left Hawaii’s athletic director injured.
Moments after the game while Bank of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Classic tournament awards were being prepared, a fight broke out behind the West Virginia bench among Mountaineers fans, the visiting team, and at least one UH fan.
Jay appeared to try to intervene and emerged from the fracas a few minutes later holding his face. He lay kneeling close to the center court “H” for more than 10 minutes while people attended to him.
“He was either stomped, hit with a chair or punched,” Beeman said of Jay. “He was in the middle of it, but he did a remarkable job of trying to break things up. People lost their minds. Talk about mob mentality. People were looking for a reason to fight and be ignorant. I hope Ben is OK but he got hit really good.”
The wife of West Virginia coach Mike Carey also fainted during the melee.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)