Nov 18, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
Brown guard Joe Sharkey is fortunate to be practicing again for the Bears after a brutal beating last May left him unconscious and bleeding.
In an update with the Providence Journal’s Bill Reynolds, Starkey is now taking one class at Brown and practicing with the team a little bit as he continues to recover as he deals with memory loss and headaches stemming from the attack.
And in the wee hours of Sunday morning there was a fight on the corner of Thayer and George streets. Sharkey was punched in the face, and when he fell he hit his head on the pavement. The police found him unresponsive, his eyes open and blood pouring from his mouth.
“The last memory I have is walking towards Brown with several friends about an hour before everything happened,” he said.
Starkey recovered and had to re-learn how to do everything from talking to eating and now he is slowly re-learning being a college athlete. A sophomore at the time of the accident, Starkey has time to recover and get back to full strength before taking the next step in his life.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)