Nov 18, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Brown guard Joe Sharkey is fortunate to be practicing again for the Bears after a brutal beating last May left him unconscious and bleeding.
In an update with the Providence Journal’s Bill Reynolds, Starkey is now taking one class at Brown and practicing with the team a little bit as he continues to recover as he deals with memory loss and headaches stemming from the attack.
And in the wee hours of Sunday morning there was a fight on the corner of Thayer and George streets. Sharkey was punched in the face, and when he fell he hit his head on the pavement. The police found him unresponsive, his eyes open and blood pouring from his mouth.
“The last memory I have is walking towards Brown with several friends about an hour before everything happened,” he said.
Starkey recovered and had to re-learn how to do everything from talking to eating and now he is slowly re-learning being a college athlete. A sophomore at the time of the accident, Starkey has time to recover and get back to full strength before taking the next step in his life.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)