Nov 18, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Brown guard Joe Sharkey is fortunate to be practicing again for the Bears after a brutal beating last May left him unconscious and bleeding.
In an update with the Providence Journal’s Bill Reynolds, Starkey is now taking one class at Brown and practicing with the team a little bit as he continues to recover as he deals with memory loss and headaches stemming from the attack.
And in the wee hours of Sunday morning there was a fight on the corner of Thayer and George streets. Sharkey was punched in the face, and when he fell he hit his head on the pavement. The police found him unresponsive, his eyes open and blood pouring from his mouth.
“The last memory I have is walking towards Brown with several friends about an hour before everything happened,” he said.
Starkey recovered and had to re-learn how to do everything from talking to eating and now he is slowly re-learning being a college athlete. A sophomore at the time of the accident, Starkey has time to recover and get back to full strength before taking the next step in his life.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)