Nov 18, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Brown guard Joe Sharkey is fortunate to be practicing again for the Bears after a brutal beating last May left him unconscious and bleeding.
In an update with the Providence Journal’s Bill Reynolds, Starkey is now taking one class at Brown and practicing with the team a little bit as he continues to recover as he deals with memory loss and headaches stemming from the attack.
And in the wee hours of Sunday morning there was a fight on the corner of Thayer and George streets. Sharkey was punched in the face, and when he fell he hit his head on the pavement. The police found him unresponsive, his eyes open and blood pouring from his mouth.
“The last memory I have is walking towards Brown with several friends about an hour before everything happened,” he said.
Starkey recovered and had to re-learn how to do everything from talking to eating and now he is slowly re-learning being a college athlete. A sophomore at the time of the accident, Starkey has time to recover and get back to full strength before taking the next step in his life.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)