Nov 18, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Brown guard Joe Sharkey is fortunate to be practicing again for the Bears after a brutal beating last May left him unconscious and bleeding.
In an update with the Providence Journal’s Bill Reynolds, Starkey is now taking one class at Brown and practicing with the team a little bit as he continues to recover as he deals with memory loss and headaches stemming from the attack.
And in the wee hours of Sunday morning there was a fight on the corner of Thayer and George streets. Sharkey was punched in the face, and when he fell he hit his head on the pavement. The police found him unresponsive, his eyes open and blood pouring from his mouth.
“The last memory I have is walking towards Brown with several friends about an hour before everything happened,” he said.
Starkey recovered and had to re-learn how to do everything from talking to eating and now he is slowly re-learning being a college athlete. A sophomore at the time of the accident, Starkey has time to recover and get back to full strength before taking the next step in his life.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 0
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)