Nov 18, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Fordham junior center Ryan Canty has taken a leave of absence just a few games into the new season, the school announced on Monday.
Canty averaged 3.3 points and 3.3 rebounds per game through three games this season after the 6-foot-9 center averaged six points and seven rebounds a game last season.
“We want only what is best for Ryan Canty as he addresses these issues,” head coach Tom Pecora said in a statement. “We will continue to support Ryan in any way we can. We ask that everyone respect his privacy at this time and we wish Ryan and his family the best as he moves forward.”
Losing a big man with Canty’s experience will certainly hurt Fordham, who is 2-1 on the season.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (4)
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? (3)