Nov 18, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The No. 16 Florida Gators picked up the 67-53 home win over Southern on Monday night in an easy nonconference win, but the main bit of news is freshman point guard Kasey Hill turning his ankle and leaving the game.
Hill was taken to the locker room and Billy Donovan announced after the game that his star freshman will be out a month. If that timeline remains accurate, that means he’ll be out of the lineup for games against Kansas, UConn and Memphis.
The Gators really need Hill. Their other McDonald’s All-American, Chris Walker, isn’t eligible to play yet and may not get cleared for the second semester. Last year’s starting point guard, Scottie Wilbekin, is currently suspended from the team, as is big man Damontre Harris. Florida could not afford to lose anyone, let alone Hill.
Eli Carter, the Rutgers transfer, is starting to work his way back into the rotation. With Hill and Wilbekin out it would be enormous if he step in and take over the point guard spot. Without him, sharpshooter Michael Frazier is running the show. He’s certainly not a point guard.
Patric Young led the balanced Gators scoring effort with 12 points while Casey Prather and DeVon Walker added 10 points each.
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)