Nov 18, 2013, 9:20 PM EST
The No. 16 Florida Gators picked up the 67-53 home win over Southern on Monday night in an easy nonconference win, but the main bit of news is freshman point guard Kasey Hill turning his ankle and leaving the game.
Hill was taken to the locker room and Billy Donovan announced after the game that his star freshman will be out a month. If that timeline remains accurate, that means he’ll be out of the lineup for games against Kansas, UConn and Memphis.
The Gators really need Hill. Their other McDonald’s All-American, Chris Walker, isn’t eligible to play yet and may not get cleared for the second semester. Last year’s starting point guard, Scottie Wilbekin, is currently suspended from the team, as is big man Damontre Harris. Florida could not afford to lose anyone, let alone Hill.
Eli Carter, the Rutgers transfer, is starting to work his way back into the rotation. With Hill and Wilbekin out it would be enormous if he step in and take over the point guard spot. Without him, sharpshooter Michael Frazier is running the show. He’s certainly not a point guard.
Patric Young led the balanced Gators scoring effort with 12 points while Casey Prather and DeVon Walker added 10 points each.
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)