Nov 18, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The No. 16 Florida Gators picked up the 67-53 home win over Southern on Monday night in an easy nonconference win, but the main bit of news is freshman point guard Kasey Hill turning his ankle and leaving the game.
Hill was taken to the locker room and Billy Donovan announced after the game that his star freshman will be out a month. If that timeline remains accurate, that means he’ll be out of the lineup for games against Kansas, UConn and Memphis.
The Gators really need Hill. Their other McDonald’s All-American, Chris Walker, isn’t eligible to play yet and may not get cleared for the second semester. Last year’s starting point guard, Scottie Wilbekin, is currently suspended from the team, as is big man Damontre Harris. Florida could not afford to lose anyone, let alone Hill.
Eli Carter, the Rutgers transfer, is starting to work his way back into the rotation. With Hill and Wilbekin out it would be enormous if he step in and take over the point guard spot. Without him, sharpshooter Michael Frazier is running the show. He’s certainly not a point guard.
Patric Young led the balanced Gators scoring effort with 12 points while Casey Prather and DeVon Walker added 10 points each.
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 2
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Missouri State’s Marcus Marshall works to strengthen knee, leadership abilities (2)
- Report: 2015 phenom Ben Simmons fully committed to attending LSU (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)