Nov 18, 2013, 9:20 PM EDT
The No. 16 Florida Gators picked up the 67-53 home win over Southern on Monday night in an easy nonconference win, but the main bit of news is freshman point guard Kasey Hill turning his ankle and leaving the game.
Hill was taken to the locker room and Billy Donovan announced after the game that his star freshman will be out a month. If that timeline remains accurate, that means he’ll be out of the lineup for games against Kansas, UConn and Memphis.
The Gators really need Hill. Their other McDonald’s All-American, Chris Walker, isn’t eligible to play yet and may not get cleared for the second semester. Last year’s starting point guard, Scottie Wilbekin, is currently suspended from the team, as is big man Damontre Harris. Florida could not afford to lose anyone, let alone Hill.
Eli Carter, the Rutgers transfer, is starting to work his way back into the rotation. With Hill and Wilbekin out it would be enormous if he step in and take over the point guard spot. Without him, sharpshooter Michael Frazier is running the show. He’s certainly not a point guard.
Patric Young led the balanced Gators scoring effort with 12 points while Casey Prather and DeVon Walker added 10 points each.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)