Nov 18, 2013, 12:46 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: Belmont 83, No. 12 North Carolina 80
Thanks to a J.J. Mann three-pointer in the game’s final seconds the Bruins knocked off the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill. For the game Belmont hit 15 three-pointers on 37 attempts, and that combined with some incredibly poor foul shooting led to North Carolina’s demise. James Michael McAdoo scored 27 points to lead UNC offensively, while Mann led all scorers with 28.
1) Iowa State 77, No. 7 Michigan 70: Both Melvin Ejim (Iowa State) and Mitch McGary (Michigan) made their season debuts on Sunday, and in the end it was Ejim and the Iowa State balance that won out. Ejim led five Cyclones in double figures with 22 points and nine rebounds, while Nik Stauskas led the Wolverines with 20. Michigan will now go through the process of re-adjusting to having McGary in the rotation, and they’ll be a better team as they do so.
2) Indiana State 83, No. 21 Notre Dame 70: Just a couple days after dropping a tough decision at Belmont, Indiana State rebounded in a big way in South Bend. Greg Lansing’s team hit 11 three-pointers, putting together a performance that illustrated why many expect Jake Odum and company to be Wichita State’s biggest threat in the Missouri Valley. As for Notre Dame, they need to tighten things up defensively if they’re to be a factor in the ACC.
3) No. 1 Kentucky 87, Robert Morris 49: While some may choose to focus on the whole “revenge” factor, last season’s Postseason NIT meeting had little to do with this matchup. The key for Kentucky: come out focused from the start after watching Michigan State score the first ten points of Tuesday’s showdown in Chicago and that’s what the Wildcats did, scoring ten of the first 11 points and never looking back. And Aaron Harrison rebounded from a rough game on Tuesday, scoring a game-high 28 points to lead the way.
1) Olivier Hanlan (Boston College): 38 points (11-for-19 FG), four rebounds and two assists in the Eagles’ 82-79 win over Florida Atlantic.
2) Devon Collier (Oregon State): 29 points and 11 rebounds in Oregon State’s 90-83 win at Maryland, providing quite the supplement to Roberto Nelson’s 31-point, seven-assist performance.
3) Eron Harris (West Virginia): 33 points (12-for-19 FG) and six rebounds in the Mountaineers’ 96-83 win over Duquesne.
1) Northwestern. Chris Collins’ Wildcats trailed by as many as 18 points before mounting a rally against Illinois State that fell four points short, 68-64.
2) North Carolina at the foul line. UNC shot a poor 22-for-48 from the foul line in a three-point loss, with J.P. Tokoto going 4-for-16.
3) Towson. Three days after beating Temple the Tigers struggled mightily against Villanova, shooting 30.9% from the field and committing 24 turnovers.
- DeAndre Daniels scored 24 points to lead No. 19 UConn to a 77-60 win over Boston University. But the Huskies will need more from him on the glass, as through four games the junior has just ten rebounds.
- K.J. McDaniels finished three blocks short of a triple-double, tallying 21 points, ten rebounds and seven blocks in Clemson’s 71-57 win over rival South Carolina.
- Ronnie Johnson scored 16 points to lead four Boilermakers in double figures as Purdue held off Rider, 81-77.
- No. 17 Gonzaga shot 11-for-20 from three in their 82-67 win over Oakland. Kevin Pangos hit five, finishing with a team-high 21 points.
- Freshman point guard Nigel Williams-Goss led Washington to a 92-80 comeback victory over Eastern Washington with 22 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- TaShawn Thomas is one of the American’s best big men, and he had another productive day in Houston’s 80-66 win over Lehigh. Thomas finished with 18 points, 13 rebounds and seven blocks.
- Marcus Foster’s taken the reins for Kansas State as the Wildcats adjust to life without Rodney McGruder. In K-State’s 71-58 win over Long Beach State, Foster scored a game-high 17 points one game after scoring 25 in a win over Oral Roberts.
Apr 24, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Dan D’Antoni spent 30 years as a high school coach in South Carolina.
Apr 24, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
Parker is not a fan of forcing players to stay in school for two years.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
There are reports he’s already signed with an agent.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
The seven-footer will miss some time getting a torn labrum repaired.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Roy Williams is not the world’s greatest dancer.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:25 AM EDT
Kentucky, Kansas and just about every elite program in the country is on the trail of the Haitian.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
It’s pretty funnyl
Apr 24, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports, former Georgetown big Moses Ayegba has decided to transfer to Nebraska.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After playing well in Kentucky’s run to the national title game, Dakari Johnson has decided to return for his sophomore season.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU should have the pieces to be a tournament team in 2014-2015.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Minnesota landed a commitment from a 6-foot-11 three-star recruit.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Adala Moto was a top 150 recruit in the class of 2012.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Allen will be one of the keys to Arizona’s season. Click to see why.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Randle talks favorite NBA players and the one-and-done rule.
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 1
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)