Nov 19, 2013, 4:41 PM EDT
Colorado hosts No. 2 Kansas on Dec. 7, and if fans want to get a ticket to that game, they’ll have to make an appearance to the Coors Events Center on Wednesday night, even though the men’s basketball team doesn’t play there until the next night against UC-Santa Barbara.
No, students will have to be in attendance for the entirety on the Colorado women’s basketball team’s game against Iowa. Fans hoping to see Andrew Wiggins and Co. were given specific instructions on the school’s athletic site on Tuesday.
You will swipe your Buff OneCard and receive a wristband, which you will need to keep on. Your wristband guarantees you your ticket to the Kansas game. If you leave the Events Center prior to the conclusion of the game, your wristband will be removed.At the conclusion of the women’s basketball game, you will be asked to go onto the court to the ticket office representatives where you will be handed your ticket and your wristband will be removed.
It’s a very creative idea by the Colorado athletic department, but I can see where it can be considered an insult in the eyes of the women’s basketball program. They’ll see more fans in the stands on Wednesday night, but those new supporters might be rooting for the final buzzer as opposed to the final score.
This is a way to promote the Lady Buffaloes, who are currently ranked No. 16 in the nation, and create some buzz around the program. It’s creative. It could offend some, but it’s like a well-intentioned promotion, which is worth a shot.
[H/T CBS Sports]
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 1
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)