Nov 19, 2013, 10:29 PM EST
For the first time since Dec. 28th, 1995, the Wisconsin Badgers broke the century mark on a basketball court.
The Badgers shot 62.1% from the floor and hit 12-of-20 from beyond the arc en-route to a 103-85 win over Big Sky contender North Dakota.
Wisconsin has a reputation in basketball circles. They’re slow. They don’t score a lot of points. They drain the shot clock. For lack of a better word, they’re boring! That wasn’t the case on Tuesday, as Wisconsin matched North Dakota fast break for fast break.
The star of the night was Frank Kaminsky, who shot 16-for-18 from the floor, 6-for-6 from three and hit 5-of-6 from the free throw line en route to a Wisconsin record of 43 points. It’s obviously a career-high for Kaminsky, who had 26 points in three games this season and who entered the game with 133 points in his Wisconsin career.
I know, right?
Just to provide some context for how ridiculous this scoring outburst from Wisconsin is, some numbers:
- Kaminsky is a junior. Three times since he’s been at Wisconsin, the Badgers have failed to score more than 43 points in a game. 11 times during that stretch, Kaminsky’s 43 points would have beaten the team they were playing.
- Wisconsin had about 72 possessions against North Dakota. They averaged less than 62 a season ago. Northwestern led the nation averaged a little more than 73 possessions.
- The last time Wisconsin won a game where they had 74 possessions in regulation? Dec. 9th, 2007, in a win over Marquette. The final score of that game was 70-66.
- Kaminsky’s career-high had been the 19 points he scored in a win over Illinois last season.
Kaminsky’s 43 points are the most scored in a game this season at the Division I level. Jack Taylor of Grinnell, a Division III school, had 109 points in a game this weekend. What Kaminsky did against a real opponent is infinitely more impressive.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 2
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)