Nov 19, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Tom Maayan was told on Monday, following Seton Hall’s 82-66 win over Monmouth, that his sophomore season with the Pirates may have ended.
According to a report from Zach Schonbrun of the New York Times, Maayan may have to leave the basketball program and return to Israel by Jan. 2 to fulfill his military obligation. Maayan’s uncle David Fuchs flew to the United States to inform his nephew of the news he had received. For Maayan, this isn’t the first time he was torn between his country and schools.
Maayan left in March, following the end of Seton Hall’s season in the Big East tournament. In mid-August, Maayan had returned to Seton Hall, after the Israeli Defense Forces granted him a 90-day furlough. Fuchs and former Seton Hall director of basketball operations Stephen Sauers had attempted to get Maayan an exemption from his three-year military commitment.
Maayan was selected to play for Israel’s under-20 national team competing in the European championships in Estonia in July. He earned notice from Arik Shivek, the coach of the Israeli national basketball team, while averaging 10.1 points and 5.6 assists for Israel, which finished 15th.
The performance also seemingly helped Maayan earn an elite athlete exemption by the army, in conjunction with the Ministry of Culture and Sport, which grants only 12 athletes (in any sport) across three age groups a temporary stay of service. According to Maayan and Fuchs, they received assurances from officials in the Sports Administration that Maayan could return to Seton Hall and finish the year.
“I wouldn’t have come back if I didn’t have the permission,” Maayan said.
The NYT reported that Fuch’s believes this is the result of a misunderstanding. This latest struggle between Maayan and the Israel Defense Forces could put an end to his collegiate career.
The 6-foot-2 point guard was averaging 1.0 points, 2.3 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game in more than 17 minutes of action a night.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)