Nov 19, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
GAME OF THE NIGHT: No. 11 Memphis at No. 7 Oklahoma State, 8:00 p.m. ET ESPN
This matchup is so tantalizing we had to give it a separate post.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE NIGHT: Arizona State at UNLV, 10:05 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Net
Do we know what is going on with UNLV yet? How did they go from a team with as much talent as anyone on the west coast to a team that loses by 21 to UC-Santa Barbara? Arizona State is good this year. Jahii Carson is well worth tuning in for, and Jordan Bachynski should help counteract the Rebel’s size advantage. This will be a good gauge for UNLV. The Sun Devils are an NCAA tournament caliber team.
WHO’S GETTING UPSET?: Georgia State at Alabama, 8:00 p.m. ET ESPN3
Georgia State is really good this season. R.J. Hunter is one of the best mid-major prospects in the country, Devonta White and Manny Atkins have no business playing in the Sun Belt, and Ryan Harrow looks like a different player now that he’s out of Lexington. Alabama is a middle-of-the-pack SEC team that the Panthers match up well against. A win gets them to Madison Square Garden for the NIT semifinals.
MID-MAJOR MATCHUP OF THE DAY: Canisius vs. Elon at Rutgers, 5:00 p.m.
Canisius guard Billy Baron is fun to watch play, while Elon is good enough that they could win the Big South and make it to the NCAA tournament.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH FOR:
1) In addition to Marcus Smart taking the floor against No. 11 Memphis tonight, the nation’s top four freshmen will all be playing tonight: Jabari Parker and Duke host East Carolina, Julius Randle and Kentucky take on UT-Arlington, Iona visits Kansas and Andrew Wiggins, and Arizona and Aaron Gordon go up against Rhode Island.
2) If that’s not enough, No. 3 Louisville is also playing tonight, as they host Hartford. Five of the top six teams in the country playing on the same night?
3) Rutgers hosts Drexel in the fourth quarterfinal in the Preseason NIT. The winner heads to Madison Square Garden. Alabama, Arizona and Duke are also hosting quarterfinals.
4) North Dakota is one of the favorites in the Big Sky and they’ll visit No. 12 Wisconsin tonight. Troy Huff is worth watching, but the No Nicknames will be playing their first Division I opponent tonight.
5) A potential upset to keep an eye on: Bucknell visiting St. John’s.
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- Utah Valley at No. 17 Oregon, 9:00 p.m. ET
- Vanderbilt at Butler, 6:00 p.m. ET FS1
- Navy at Virginia, 7:00 p.m. ET
- La Salle at Penn State, 7:00 p.m. ET
- Coastal Carolina at Minnesota, 8:00 p.m. ET
- Seattle at Boise State, 9:00 p.m. ET
- Colorado State at UTEP, 9:05 p.m. ET
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)
- Indiana grabs commitment from prep school center (VIDEO) (6)
- Harrison twins awaiting feedback from NBA before deciding to return or declare (6)
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ (5)