Nov 20, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Last week the Oakland Golden Grizzlies’ road trip to California took a turn for the worse when it was reported that players Duke Mondy and Dante Williams were arrested on charges of felony rape. Those charges would ultimately be dropped, but head coach Greg Kampe made the decision to send both home ahead of the team’s game at Cal.
It was unknown just how long the suspension of the two players would last, and on Wednesday the school announced that both have been reinstated. Mondy and Williams missed games against Cal and Gonzaga as a result of what was termed as a violation of team policies with both having broken curfew.
“I am at issue with the moral connotations of what occurred, but I work at a public institution where diverse beliefs and ideals are accepted,” Kampe said in the release. “It is the consequences of their actions while representing this university that must be addressed.
“It is my belief that the word coach and teacher are synonymous, and I intend on making this a learning experience for the two student-athletes involved and the rest of the team. The entire team will be going through a series of behind-the-scenes workshops and training sessions to address not only this incident, but also additional life skills.
“The mission of this basketball program is and always has been to educate student-athletes, and that education process needs to be in addition to academics.”
As a redshirt junior Mondy, who began his collegiate career at Providence, was named Summit League Newcomer of the Year (Oakland is now a member of the Horizon League) after posting averages of 12.0 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game. And his 100 steals on the season (3.0 spg) led the conference. Having Mondy back in the fold gives Oakland another capable perimeter scorer alongside the prolific Travis Bader, who’s averaging 20.0 points per game and scored 22 in the Golden Grizzlies’ 82-67 loss at Gonzaga.
Currently 0-4 on the season, Oakland doesn’t play again until they face Louisiana on Saturday.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)