Nov 20, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
Last week the Oakland Golden Grizzlies’ road trip to California took a turn for the worse when it was reported that players Duke Mondy and Dante Williams were arrested on charges of felony rape. Those charges would ultimately be dropped, but head coach Greg Kampe made the decision to send both home ahead of the team’s game at Cal.
It was unknown just how long the suspension of the two players would last, and on Wednesday the school announced that both have been reinstated. Mondy and Williams missed games against Cal and Gonzaga as a result of what was termed as a violation of team policies with both having broken curfew.
“I am at issue with the moral connotations of what occurred, but I work at a public institution where diverse beliefs and ideals are accepted,” Kampe said in the release. “It is the consequences of their actions while representing this university that must be addressed.
“It is my belief that the word coach and teacher are synonymous, and I intend on making this a learning experience for the two student-athletes involved and the rest of the team. The entire team will be going through a series of behind-the-scenes workshops and training sessions to address not only this incident, but also additional life skills.
“The mission of this basketball program is and always has been to educate student-athletes, and that education process needs to be in addition to academics.”
As a redshirt junior Mondy, who began his collegiate career at Providence, was named Summit League Newcomer of the Year (Oakland is now a member of the Horizon League) after posting averages of 12.0 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game. And his 100 steals on the season (3.0 spg) led the conference. Having Mondy back in the fold gives Oakland another capable perimeter scorer alongside the prolific Travis Bader, who’s averaging 20.0 points per game and scored 22 in the Golden Grizzlies’ 82-67 loss at Gonzaga.
Currently 0-4 on the season, Oakland doesn’t play again until they face Louisiana on Saturday.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)