Nov 20, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Last week the Oakland Golden Grizzlies’ road trip to California took a turn for the worse when it was reported that players Duke Mondy and Dante Williams were arrested on charges of felony rape. Those charges would ultimately be dropped, but head coach Greg Kampe made the decision to send both home ahead of the team’s game at Cal.
It was unknown just how long the suspension of the two players would last, and on Wednesday the school announced that both have been reinstated. Mondy and Williams missed games against Cal and Gonzaga as a result of what was termed as a violation of team policies with both having broken curfew.
“I am at issue with the moral connotations of what occurred, but I work at a public institution where diverse beliefs and ideals are accepted,” Kampe said in the release. “It is the consequences of their actions while representing this university that must be addressed.
“It is my belief that the word coach and teacher are synonymous, and I intend on making this a learning experience for the two student-athletes involved and the rest of the team. The entire team will be going through a series of behind-the-scenes workshops and training sessions to address not only this incident, but also additional life skills.
“The mission of this basketball program is and always has been to educate student-athletes, and that education process needs to be in addition to academics.”
As a redshirt junior Mondy, who began his collegiate career at Providence, was named Summit League Newcomer of the Year (Oakland is now a member of the Horizon League) after posting averages of 12.0 points, 5.1 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game. And his 100 steals on the season (3.0 spg) led the conference. Having Mondy back in the fold gives Oakland another capable perimeter scorer alongside the prolific Travis Bader, who’s averaging 20.0 points per game and scored 22 in the Golden Grizzlies’ 82-67 loss at Gonzaga.
Currently 0-4 on the season, Oakland doesn’t play again until they face Louisiana on Saturday.
- Reductions in scholarship, off-campus recruiting will have significant impact on Syracuse moving forward 5
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim 31
- Bracketology: No. 1 seed line remains unsettled 6
- Weekend Preview: Duke-Carolina Part Two, and which bubble teams have the most on the line? 1
- Bubble Banter: Davidson with a big win, Stanford in trouble, and … VCU? 2
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- NCAA sanctions Syracuse; 12 lost scholarships, nine-game suspension for coach Jim Boeheim (31)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (11)
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed (9)