Nov 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
The 2013-2014 season is sure to be a thrilling Player of the Year race, so to keep track of it, we will be posting weekly Player of the Year Power Rankings for your reading goodness.
Who’d we miss? Who’s ranked too high? We love to overlook your team’s best player and overrate your rival’s superstar.
1. Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State): Smart had three good-but-not-great games against overmatched competition to start the season, but he turned in one of the most dominant performances on both ends in a blowout win over Memphis on Tuesday.
2. Jabari Parker (Duke): Parker is averaging 22.4 ppg, 8.8 rpg and 2.0 bpg, becoming the first Duke freshmen to hit for 20 in his first five games.
3. Shabazz Napier (UConn): Napier is quietly having a dominant season, averaging 13.5 points, 9.8 boards and 7.5 assists in four games with one triple-double under his belt already.
4. Doug McDermott (Creighton): Dougie McBuckets has been as awesome as we expected. He’s averaging 25.7 points with one game-winner on his resume already.
5. Jahii Carson (Arizona State): Carson, like Smart, had three good games against cupcakes before going off for 40 points and seven assists in a win over UNLV.
6. Julius Randle (Kentucky): The numbers — 20.8 points, 13.4 boards, five double-doubles — speak for themselves. The turnovers — 17 in five games, eight against Michigan State — need to get cut down.
7. Perry Ellis (Kansas): With all the talk about Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid, it’s Ellis and his 19.0 points and 8.0 boards that is leading the Jayhawks.
8. Joseph Young (Oregon): Young is averaging 26.7 points in three games, including a 24 point performance in a win over Georgetown in South Korea.
9. Tyler Haws (BYU): Haws is averaging 29.5 points and 10.5 boards in wins over Weber State and at Stanford. He hasn’t played in more than a week due to an abdominal strain.
10. Keith Appling (Michigan State): Appling has been terrific this season, averaging 15.3 points, 6.3 assists and 4.0 boards. Is he (gasp!) a point guard?
Others: Aaron Craft, Aaron Gordon, Rodney Hood, Nick Johnson, Roberto Nelson, Russ Smith, Noah Vonleh, Andrew Wiggins,
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)