Nov 20, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
The 2013-2014 season is sure to be a thrilling Player of the Year race, so to keep track of it, we will be posting weekly Player of the Year Power Rankings for your reading goodness.
Who’d we miss? Who’s ranked too high? We love to overlook your team’s best player and overrate your rival’s superstar.
1. Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State): Smart had three good-but-not-great games against overmatched competition to start the season, but he turned in one of the most dominant performances on both ends in a blowout win over Memphis on Tuesday.
2. Jabari Parker (Duke): Parker is averaging 22.4 ppg, 8.8 rpg and 2.0 bpg, becoming the first Duke freshmen to hit for 20 in his first five games.
3. Shabazz Napier (UConn): Napier is quietly having a dominant season, averaging 13.5 points, 9.8 boards and 7.5 assists in four games with one triple-double under his belt already.
4. Doug McDermott (Creighton): Dougie McBuckets has been as awesome as we expected. He’s averaging 25.7 points with one game-winner on his resume already.
5. Jahii Carson (Arizona State): Carson, like Smart, had three good games against cupcakes before going off for 40 points and seven assists in a win over UNLV.
6. Julius Randle (Kentucky): The numbers — 20.8 points, 13.4 boards, five double-doubles — speak for themselves. The turnovers — 17 in five games, eight against Michigan State — need to get cut down.
7. Perry Ellis (Kansas): With all the talk about Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid, it’s Ellis and his 19.0 points and 8.0 boards that is leading the Jayhawks.
8. Joseph Young (Oregon): Young is averaging 26.7 points in three games, including a 24 point performance in a win over Georgetown in South Korea.
9. Tyler Haws (BYU): Haws is averaging 29.5 points and 10.5 boards in wins over Weber State and at Stanford. He hasn’t played in more than a week due to an abdominal strain.
10. Keith Appling (Michigan State): Appling has been terrific this season, averaging 15.3 points, 6.3 assists and 4.0 boards. Is he (gasp!) a point guard?
Others: Aaron Craft, Aaron Gordon, Rodney Hood, Nick Johnson, Roberto Nelson, Russ Smith, Noah Vonleh, Andrew Wiggins,
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)