Nov 20, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
The devastating storms that struck the Midwest this weekend hit a little to close to home for Alec Peters.
A freshman that’s averaging 11 points and a team-high seven boards for Valparaiso this season is from Washington, IL, the town where the late-November tornadoes turned 500 houses into rubble and killed one person. A total of eight people perished as the storms moved through the midwest.
Peters was lucky. His family made it through the storm, alive and without significant property damage, but a number of his friends were not as fortunate.
Peters was just finishing his post-game shower following Sunday’s 76-72 loss to Ohio when assistant coach Roger Powell told him the news.
“My emotions are still running high from the loss and Coach Powell comes up to me with this look and I know something is immediately wrong,” Peters said. “We got my mom on the phone and I found out my family is fine, but plenty of my friends were affected.
“I just broke down. I didn’t know what else to think or what to do.”
Peters spent the entire six-hour bus trip back from Athens on the phone trying to track down the whereabouts of friends and family. While he doesn’t know anyone who died in the tornado, each report of a different damaged house was like a punch to the gut.
It’s worth the click to read the story.
Peters returned to the team on Tuesday morning and will play in their next game against Evansville.
- Former Villanova guard headed to Oregon for final season 0
- Looking Forward: Seven coaches who’ll enter 2015-16 on the ‘hot seat’ 1
- Looking Forward: The eight most intriguing coaching hires of 2015 2
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ 6
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 8
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 5
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 (8)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)
- John Calipari: ‘If you ask me if I’m ever going to platoon again, my answer is NO’ (6)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (5)