Nov 21, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
Fats Thomas, a convicted felon linked to the rental cars that North Carolina’s P.J. Hairston was driving this sumer, has accepted a plea deal for an arrest from last November.
Thomas received 36 months of supervised probation in the deal, was given a suspended sentence of 23-to-47 months and will be forced to do 100 hours of community service within the next year.
The charges he plead guilty to? Possession of a firearm by a felon, drug possession with intent to distribute and possession of drug paraphernalia. A fourth charge was dismissed.
Thomas’ name and/or address was used to rent cars that Hairston was pulled over in back in May and June. In May, Hairston was caught speeding in a 2012 Camaro. A month later, he was arrested after being stopped in a 2013 GMC Yukon and charged with possession of marijuana with two other men.
Hairston was suspended indefinitely from the Tar Heels in late-July when he was cited for reckless driving, going 93 mph in a 65 mph zone. He was driving the car of a female friend.
Hairston has yet to play this season as he waits for the NCAA to rule on his eligibility stemming from the rental car case.
- Bubble Banter: Whose tournament hopes are on the line on Tuesday night? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- Bracketology: Villanova takes ahold of the fourth No. 1 seed 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? 20
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)