Nov 21, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
Fats Thomas, a convicted felon linked to the rental cars that North Carolina’s P.J. Hairston was driving this sumer, has accepted a plea deal for an arrest from last November.
Thomas received 36 months of supervised probation in the deal, was given a suspended sentence of 23-to-47 months and will be forced to do 100 hours of community service within the next year.
The charges he plead guilty to? Possession of a firearm by a felon, drug possession with intent to distribute and possession of drug paraphernalia. A fourth charge was dismissed.
Thomas’ name and/or address was used to rent cars that Hairston was pulled over in back in May and June. In May, Hairston was caught speeding in a 2012 Camaro. A month later, he was arrested after being stopped in a 2013 GMC Yukon and charged with possession of marijuana with two other men.
Hairston was suspended indefinitely from the Tar Heels in late-July when he was cited for reckless driving, going 93 mph in a 65 mph zone. He was driving the car of a female friend.
Hairston has yet to play this season as he waits for the NCAA to rule on his eligibility stemming from the rental car case.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)