Nov 21, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
Fats Thomas, a convicted felon linked to the rental cars that North Carolina’s P.J. Hairston was driving this sumer, has accepted a plea deal for an arrest from last November.
Thomas received 36 months of supervised probation in the deal, was given a suspended sentence of 23-to-47 months and will be forced to do 100 hours of community service within the next year.
The charges he plead guilty to? Possession of a firearm by a felon, drug possession with intent to distribute and possession of drug paraphernalia. A fourth charge was dismissed.
Thomas’ name and/or address was used to rent cars that Hairston was pulled over in back in May and June. In May, Hairston was caught speeding in a 2012 Camaro. A month later, he was arrested after being stopped in a 2013 GMC Yukon and charged with possession of marijuana with two other men.
Hairston was suspended indefinitely from the Tar Heels in late-July when he was cited for reckless driving, going 93 mph in a 65 mph zone. He was driving the car of a female friend.
Hairston has yet to play this season as he waits for the NCAA to rule on his eligibility stemming from the rental car case.
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? 4
- Duke lands five-star Class of 2015 wing Brandon Ingram 3
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 1
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 5
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 2
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (8)
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season (5)