Nov 21, 2013, 12:22 PM EDT
Fats Thomas, a convicted felon linked to the rental cars that North Carolina’s P.J. Hairston was driving this sumer, has accepted a plea deal for an arrest from last November.
Thomas received 36 months of supervised probation in the deal, was given a suspended sentence of 23-to-47 months and will be forced to do 100 hours of community service within the next year.
The charges he plead guilty to? Possession of a firearm by a felon, drug possession with intent to distribute and possession of drug paraphernalia. A fourth charge was dismissed.
Thomas’ name and/or address was used to rent cars that Hairston was pulled over in back in May and June. In May, Hairston was caught speeding in a 2012 Camaro. A month later, he was arrested after being stopped in a 2013 GMC Yukon and charged with possession of marijuana with two other men.
Hairston was suspended indefinitely from the Tar Heels in late-July when he was cited for reckless driving, going 93 mph in a 65 mph zone. He was driving the car of a female friend.
Hairston has yet to play this season as he waits for the NCAA to rule on his eligibility stemming from the rental car case.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 0
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Green Bay’s Keifer Sykes maintains the chip on his shoulder 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)