Nov 21, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Less than a week ago Duke received commitments from point guard Tyus Jones and center Jahlil Okafor, and on Thursday afternoon Mike Krzyzewski’s recruiting haul got even better as 2014 five-star forward Justise Winslow followed suit. Winslow, who attends the St. John’s School in Houston, Texas, joins the aforementioned duo and shooting guard Grayson Allen in Duke’s 2014 class.
There are some moving pieces to consider when evaluating Duke in 2014, with Andre Dawkins, Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton being seniors and the possibility of Jabari Parker being a lottery pick in next summer’s NBA Draft (should he decided to leave school, of course). Adding Winslow, a player capable of scoring both inside and out, to the equation gives Duke a skilled forward more than capable of competing for playing time immediately on the wing.
Winslow chose Duke over UCLA, Arizona, Texas A&M and Florida, with a few wondering if the Bruins (with an assist from signee Kevon Looney) would be able to pull off the recruiting “upset” in the end. But Winslow chose Duke, joining forces with two teammates on the United States under-19 team in Okafor and guard Rasheed Sulaimon. And like Sulaimon, Winslow is a product of the Houston Hoops grassroots program.
During this past summer’s Under-19 World Championships Winslow posted averages of 9.8 points and 6.0 rebounds per game, ranking fourth on the team in scoring and second in rebounding behind Arizona freshman Aaron Gordon. The 6-foot-6 Winslow was one of two high school players on the roster, with Okafor being the other.
Here are a few clips of Winslow in action with the Houston Hoops.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)