Nov 21, 2013, 4:58 PM EDT
Less than a week ago Duke received commitments from point guard Tyus Jones and center Jahlil Okafor, and on Thursday afternoon Mike Krzyzewski’s recruiting haul got even better as 2014 five-star forward Justise Winslow followed suit. Winslow, who attends the St. John’s School in Houston, Texas, joins the aforementioned duo and shooting guard Grayson Allen in Duke’s 2014 class.
There are some moving pieces to consider when evaluating Duke in 2014, with Andre Dawkins, Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton being seniors and the possibility of Jabari Parker being a lottery pick in next summer’s NBA Draft (should he decided to leave school, of course). Adding Winslow, a player capable of scoring both inside and out, to the equation gives Duke a skilled forward more than capable of competing for playing time immediately on the wing.
Winslow chose Duke over UCLA, Arizona, Texas A&M and Florida, with a few wondering if the Bruins (with an assist from signee Kevon Looney) would be able to pull off the recruiting “upset” in the end. But Winslow chose Duke, joining forces with two teammates on the United States under-19 team in Okafor and guard Rasheed Sulaimon. And like Sulaimon, Winslow is a product of the Houston Hoops grassroots program.
During this past summer’s Under-19 World Championships Winslow posted averages of 9.8 points and 6.0 rebounds per game, ranking fourth on the team in scoring and second in rebounding behind Arizona freshman Aaron Gordon. The 6-foot-6 Winslow was one of two high school players on the roster, with Okafor being the other.
Here are a few clips of Winslow in action with the Houston Hoops.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)