Nov 21, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
After fouling out of No. 21 Iowa State’s 90-88 win at BYU on Wednesday night, senior forward Melvin Ejim directed an obscene gesture towards the crowd in response to some heckling from the student section. Ejim, realizing the error of his ways, apologized for his actions after the game when addressing the media.
“I apologize to the BYU student section,” Ejim said according to the Des Moines Register. “They found a way to get under my skin. I humbly apologize.”
But the apology wasn’t good enough for some BYU fans, as they emailed complaints to Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard. According to the Register Pollard issued a statement via email, in which he notes Ejim’s apology:
Thank you for your email. We do share your disappointment in one of our players for making an emotional and uncharacteristic gesture to the BYU student section. The player that made the gesture apologized, on his own volition, immediately following the game during our post-game press conference. Unfortunately college athletics can bring out the best and worse in student-athletes, coaches and crowds. Last night was a very good basketball game in front of a very vocal and intimidating environment. The game included a lot of drama and emotion exhibited by both teams and fans.
That’s just the first paragraph of Pollard’s statement, which can be read here. One would think that this statement and Ejim’s apology following the game would be the end of the situation. Clearly the action was uncalled for regardless of the emotion of the moment, but to Ejim’s credit he noted as much following the game.
Iowa State’s off until Monday, when they host Kansas City at Hilton Coliseum.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 24
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)