Nov 21, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
After fouling out of No. 21 Iowa State’s 90-88 win at BYU on Wednesday night, senior forward Melvin Ejim directed an obscene gesture towards the crowd in response to some heckling from the student section. Ejim, realizing the error of his ways, apologized for his actions after the game when addressing the media.
“I apologize to the BYU student section,” Ejim said according to the Des Moines Register. “They found a way to get under my skin. I humbly apologize.”
But the apology wasn’t good enough for some BYU fans, as they emailed complaints to Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard. According to the Register Pollard issued a statement via email, in which he notes Ejim’s apology:
Thank you for your email. We do share your disappointment in one of our players for making an emotional and uncharacteristic gesture to the BYU student section. The player that made the gesture apologized, on his own volition, immediately following the game during our post-game press conference. Unfortunately college athletics can bring out the best and worse in student-athletes, coaches and crowds. Last night was a very good basketball game in front of a very vocal and intimidating environment. The game included a lot of drama and emotion exhibited by both teams and fans.
That’s just the first paragraph of Pollard’s statement, which can be read here. One would think that this statement and Ejim’s apology following the game would be the end of the situation. Clearly the action was uncalled for regardless of the emotion of the moment, but to Ejim’s credit he noted as much following the game.
Iowa State’s off until Monday, when they host Kansas City at Hilton Coliseum.
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 7
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 4
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)