Nov 21, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
After fouling out of No. 21 Iowa State’s 90-88 win at BYU on Wednesday night, senior forward Melvin Ejim directed an obscene gesture towards the crowd in response to some heckling from the student section. Ejim, realizing the error of his ways, apologized for his actions after the game when addressing the media.
“I apologize to the BYU student section,” Ejim said according to the Des Moines Register. “They found a way to get under my skin. I humbly apologize.”
But the apology wasn’t good enough for some BYU fans, as they emailed complaints to Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard. According to the Register Pollard issued a statement via email, in which he notes Ejim’s apology:
Thank you for your email. We do share your disappointment in one of our players for making an emotional and uncharacteristic gesture to the BYU student section. The player that made the gesture apologized, on his own volition, immediately following the game during our post-game press conference. Unfortunately college athletics can bring out the best and worse in student-athletes, coaches and crowds. Last night was a very good basketball game in front of a very vocal and intimidating environment. The game included a lot of drama and emotion exhibited by both teams and fans.
That’s just the first paragraph of Pollard’s statement, which can be read here. One would think that this statement and Ejim’s apology following the game would be the end of the situation. Clearly the action was uncalled for regardless of the emotion of the moment, but to Ejim’s credit he noted as much following the game.
Iowa State’s off until Monday, when they host Kansas City at Hilton Coliseum.
- Five-star shooting guard focusing on ten schools 0
- Isaac Humphries is Kentucky’s insurance policy inside, but should that be concerning? 1
- Source: Isaac Humphries expected to commit to Kentucky, enroll in 2015 1
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)
- Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: ‘I ran a clean program’ (3)
- Another Division I coach loses their job in the wake of the Donnie Tyndall scandal (3)