Nov 21, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
It seems like every year, there is some rumor that pops up regarding John Calipari and a return to the NBA.
On Thursday morning, Ken Berger of CBSSports.com set off the latest flurry of scuttlebutt with this column, where he lays out a pretty decent argument for how Coach Cal could end up in Manhattan by next season.
How does he get there?
Well, in short, the Knicks continue to be horrible this season, which gets Mike Woodson fired. The Knicks, without a pick in the loaded 2014 Draft, don’t the past success or the promising future that they can sell to an acceptable candidate, so they dip into the organization’s alliance with CAA and World Wide Wes by hiring Coach Cal away from Kentucky. For what Berger said could be an $8 million a year contract.
Now look at this from Coach Cal’s perspective. He’s got what could end up being his best team to date in Lexington this season. Let’s pretend that the Wildcats live up to their potential, win a national title and send seven guys to the first round of the NBA Draft. Without much talent returning, and after whiffing on a number of the elite recruits in the 2014 class, would Cal be willing to leave town for, theoretically, a six-year, $48 million contract?
That’s certainly not the craziest theory that’s been floated.
And if it happens, well, seeing the way Kentucky fans react to his departure — and their search for a new head coach — will be interesting. Check out the comments on the column linked above.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)