Nov 21, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
It seems like every year, there is some rumor that pops up regarding John Calipari and a return to the NBA.
On Thursday morning, Ken Berger of CBSSports.com set off the latest flurry of scuttlebutt with this column, where he lays out a pretty decent argument for how Coach Cal could end up in Manhattan by next season.
How does he get there?
Well, in short, the Knicks continue to be horrible this season, which gets Mike Woodson fired. The Knicks, without a pick in the loaded 2014 Draft, don’t the past success or the promising future that they can sell to an acceptable candidate, so they dip into the organization’s alliance with CAA and World Wide Wes by hiring Coach Cal away from Kentucky. For what Berger said could be an $8 million a year contract.
Now look at this from Coach Cal’s perspective. He’s got what could end up being his best team to date in Lexington this season. Let’s pretend that the Wildcats live up to their potential, win a national title and send seven guys to the first round of the NBA Draft. Without much talent returning, and after whiffing on a number of the elite recruits in the 2014 class, would Cal be willing to leave town for, theoretically, a six-year, $48 million contract?
That’s certainly not the craziest theory that’s been floated.
And if it happens, well, seeing the way Kentucky fans react to his departure — and their search for a new head coach — will be interesting. Check out the comments on the column linked above.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)