Nov 21, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
It seems like every year, there is some rumor that pops up regarding John Calipari and a return to the NBA.
On Thursday morning, Ken Berger of CBSSports.com set off the latest flurry of scuttlebutt with this column, where he lays out a pretty decent argument for how Coach Cal could end up in Manhattan by next season.
How does he get there?
Well, in short, the Knicks continue to be horrible this season, which gets Mike Woodson fired. The Knicks, without a pick in the loaded 2014 Draft, don’t the past success or the promising future that they can sell to an acceptable candidate, so they dip into the organization’s alliance with CAA and World Wide Wes by hiring Coach Cal away from Kentucky. For what Berger said could be an $8 million a year contract.
Now look at this from Coach Cal’s perspective. He’s got what could end up being his best team to date in Lexington this season. Let’s pretend that the Wildcats live up to their potential, win a national title and send seven guys to the first round of the NBA Draft. Without much talent returning, and after whiffing on a number of the elite recruits in the 2014 class, would Cal be willing to leave town for, theoretically, a six-year, $48 million contract?
That’s certainly not the craziest theory that’s been floated.
And if it happens, well, seeing the way Kentucky fans react to his departure — and their search for a new head coach — will be interesting. Check out the comments on the column linked above.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)