Nov 21, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
It seems like every year, there is some rumor that pops up regarding John Calipari and a return to the NBA.
On Thursday morning, Ken Berger of CBSSports.com set off the latest flurry of scuttlebutt with this column, where he lays out a pretty decent argument for how Coach Cal could end up in Manhattan by next season.
How does he get there?
Well, in short, the Knicks continue to be horrible this season, which gets Mike Woodson fired. The Knicks, without a pick in the loaded 2014 Draft, don’t the past success or the promising future that they can sell to an acceptable candidate, so they dip into the organization’s alliance with CAA and World Wide Wes by hiring Coach Cal away from Kentucky. For what Berger said could be an $8 million a year contract.
Now look at this from Coach Cal’s perspective. He’s got what could end up being his best team to date in Lexington this season. Let’s pretend that the Wildcats live up to their potential, win a national title and send seven guys to the first round of the NBA Draft. Without much talent returning, and after whiffing on a number of the elite recruits in the 2014 class, would Cal be willing to leave town for, theoretically, a six-year, $48 million contract?
That’s certainly not the craziest theory that’s been floated.
And if it happens, well, seeing the way Kentucky fans react to his departure — and their search for a new head coach — will be interesting. Check out the comments on the column linked above.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)