Nov 22, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
First-year USC head coach Andy Enfield used an entertaining brand of basketball to lead FGCU to an Atlantic Sun tournament crown and a trip to the Sweet 16 last season, resulting in his move to Los Angeles. And he’s got quite the task in front of him, as USC AD Pat Haden hired Enfield with the expectation that he’s the man to turn things around.
Armed with an entertaining style on the court, Enfield’s also quite the entertainer off the court. In a story written by Stephen Rodrick of Men’s Journal, Enfield makes some eye-catching remarks at a luncheon with some USC booster regarding both UTEP head coach Tim Floyd and UCLA head coach Steve Alford.
He then told the men he’d have no problem recruiting one-and-done players. He was asked about competing with UCLA, particularly now that their crosstown rival had hired Steve Alford, the former Indiana star. “I don’t worry about them,” said Enfield with a smile. “I’ve made it to one Sweet Sixteen in two years, and he’s made it to one Sweet Sixteen in 18 years.” The boosters hooted. By the end of the meal, they would have rubbed out Alford and Floyd with just an Enfield whisper and some piano wire.
Clearly Enfield’s not one for “coach speak,” and that should make for interesting times at USC. The full story can be read here.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 3
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)