Nov 22, 2013, 12:52 PM EST
First-year USC head coach Andy Enfield used an entertaining brand of basketball to lead FGCU to an Atlantic Sun tournament crown and a trip to the Sweet 16 last season, resulting in his move to Los Angeles. And he’s got quite the task in front of him, as USC AD Pat Haden hired Enfield with the expectation that he’s the man to turn things around.
Armed with an entertaining style on the court, Enfield’s also quite the entertainer off the court. In a story written by Stephen Rodrick of Men’s Journal, Enfield makes some eye-catching remarks at a luncheon with some USC booster regarding both UTEP head coach Tim Floyd and UCLA head coach Steve Alford.
He then told the men he’d have no problem recruiting one-and-done players. He was asked about competing with UCLA, particularly now that their crosstown rival had hired Steve Alford, the former Indiana star. “I don’t worry about them,” said Enfield with a smile. “I’ve made it to one Sweet Sixteen in two years, and he’s made it to one Sweet Sixteen in 18 years.” The boosters hooted. By the end of the meal, they would have rubbed out Alford and Floyd with just an Enfield whisper and some piano wire.
Clearly Enfield’s not one for “coach speak,” and that should make for interesting times at USC. The full story can be read here.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)