Nov 22, 2013, 12:52 PM EST
First-year USC head coach Andy Enfield used an entertaining brand of basketball to lead FGCU to an Atlantic Sun tournament crown and a trip to the Sweet 16 last season, resulting in his move to Los Angeles. And he’s got quite the task in front of him, as USC AD Pat Haden hired Enfield with the expectation that he’s the man to turn things around.
Armed with an entertaining style on the court, Enfield’s also quite the entertainer off the court. In a story written by Stephen Rodrick of Men’s Journal, Enfield makes some eye-catching remarks at a luncheon with some USC booster regarding both UTEP head coach Tim Floyd and UCLA head coach Steve Alford.
He then told the men he’d have no problem recruiting one-and-done players. He was asked about competing with UCLA, particularly now that their crosstown rival had hired Steve Alford, the former Indiana star. “I don’t worry about them,” said Enfield with a smile. “I’ve made it to one Sweet Sixteen in two years, and he’s made it to one Sweet Sixteen in 18 years.” The boosters hooted. By the end of the meal, they would have rubbed out Alford and Floyd with just an Enfield whisper and some piano wire.
Clearly Enfield’s not one for “coach speak,” and that should make for interesting times at USC. The full story can be read here.
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 3
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)