Nov 22, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
With 3:28 remaining in Wednesday night’s matchup with No. 21 Iowa State, BYU freshman forward Eric Mika was injured when DeAndre Kane swiped at the basketball and ended up striking Mika in the face. Due to the force of the blow Kane was called for a flagrant two foul, resulting in his ejection, but the bigger concern for BYU was the long-term status of their best post player.
According to Jay Drew of the Salt Lake Tribune the injury isn’t as bad as originally feared, with doctors diagnosing Mika with a right eye abrasion after scans revealed no broken bones or structural damage. Mika finished the game with 17 points and nine rebounds, and for the season he’s averaging 13.4 points and 5.0 rebounds per contest.
And while Iowa State certainly deserves credit for the victory, Mika’s absence did have an impact down the stretch according to BYU head coach Dave Rose.
“Eric did give us a real presence inside, scoring with the ball, but what he really did for us was offensive rebounds,” Rose said. “He had five offensive rebounds. We missed quite a few short shots late that were around the rim that Eric probably could have helped us with.”
According to the report Mika was to be re-evaluated on Thursday in order to determine his status for BYU’s next game, with the Cougars meeting Texas in Kansas City on Monday night in a CBE Classic semifinal. If Mika were unable to go even more would be required of Nate Austin, who accounted for six points and a game-high 13 rebounds on Wednesday night.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)