Nov 22, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
Georgetown bounced back from Thursday’s embarrassing loss to Northeastern in a big way, as they rolled over Kansas State, 90-63, in the consolation bracket of the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.
D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera led four scorers in double-figures with 25 points as the Hoyas put together a sterling offensive effort, shooting 61.1% from the floor, 6-for-13 from three and committing all of eight turnovers.
It was a far-cry from the disaster that was the second half against on Thursday, when Georgetown got outscored 38-20 by Northeastern while running an offense that could best be described as “tired over-30 rec league”. Friday’s performance is what we expected out of this Georgetown team with Josh Smith eligible.
To be frank, I think that Thursday’s result had more to do with the location and the time of the game than it did with the ability of the Hoyas. Markel Starks and Smith-Rivera combined to shoot 7 -for-26 from the floor, which is something that those two are far-too talented to have happen on a regular basis. Thrown in the packed-in zone that the Huskies threw at Georgetown and the tired legs that come with international travel — remember, we are now just a week removed from their trip to South Korea — and Northeastern may have simply been a costly, but necessary, lesson: you cannot overlook any team at any level.
Georgetown will likely get No. 10 VCU this weekend in the fifth-place game.
That should give us a real gauge of just what we can expect from this group.
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 0
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- Four-star shooting guard verbally commits to UCLA 0
- Michigan State’s Tom Izzo takes the #icebucketchallenge (VIDEO) (5)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Larry Brown on Emmanuel Mudiay going pro: ‘I thought it was a bad decision’ (4)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)