Nov 23, 2013, 5:05 PM EDT
After Russ Smith knocked down a shot with 18:42 remaining in the first half to open the scoring in No. 3 Louisville’s game against Fairfield, the Cardinals went more than six minutes without a point. Rick Pitino’s team didn’t look all that sharp, and to be fair Fairfield’s made a habit of turning the majority of their games into slugfests that would not be described as works of art.
But as the game progressed Louisville was able to gain separation, closing the first half on a 28-12 run and putting the Stags away by the final score of 71-57. Chris Jones led four Cardinals in double figures with 15 points and Montrezl Harrell posted his second double-double of the season (14 points, 13 rebounds), helping the Cardinals win by a comfortable margin despite shooting 37.7% from the field and 2-for-14 from beyond the arc.
Louisville wasn’t at their best but they forced 19 turnovers and used put their superior size to good use in rebounding nearly 43% of their missed shots on the afternoon. The Cardinals didn’t shoot particularly well and they finished with twice as many turnovers (14) as assists (seven), something that cannot happen against North Carolina on Sunday afternoon.
But how much should we read into a performance like this? Entering Saturday’s contest Fairfield had not allowed more than 63 points in a game this season, and they allow less than a point per possession (0.98). Louisville didn’t execute all that well against Fairfield, averaging a point per possession on the afternoon and turning the ball over on nearly 20% of their possessions, but because of their work defensively and on the glass the offensive issues didn’t get them in trouble.
A lot more will be learned about Louisville on Sunday, even with North Carolina still playing without two of its best players in P.J. Hairston and Leslie McDonald. And with the talent at Rick Pitino’s disposal, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the Cardinals put together a much better performance against the Tar Heels than they did today.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)