Nov 24, 2013, 5:59 PM EST
The story of High Point senior forward Allan Chaney is one college basketball fans may be familiar with. After transferring to Virginia Tech from Florida Chaney was told by doctors in 2010 that a case of viral mycarditis, an infection that results in inflammation of the heart, would end his basketball career.
The road back to the court was a long and difficult one, as even with his being cleared by doctors after the implanting of a wireless internal defibrillator Chaney was not cleared to play at Virginia Tech. He would eventually wind up at High Point, where last season he averaged 14.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game on a team that won a share of the Big South regular season title and finished with an overall record of 17-14.
As a senior Chaney is expected to once again figure prominently in High Point’s plans, but according to Ryan Fagan of The Sporting News Chaney collapsed during High Point’s game against Wofford on Sunday afternoon.
Those who knew Chaney’s story and dared to look saw Chaney, who missed two full seasons with heart problems before turning in an excellent 2012-13 season for High Point, surrounded by coaches and medical personnel. His knees were bent, and he kept lifting his head off the ground, which was an encouraging sign. When he stood on his own and walked off the floor, the crowd offered a resounding cheer of support.
Shortly after the incident High Point SID Jon Litchfield told Fagan that Chaney’s wireless internal defibrillator went off for an unknown reason, and that the forward is OK.
- Virginia’s Justin Anderson could return as early as Saturday 0
- Missouri Valley Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- No. 9 Kansas rallies to beat No. 20 West Virginia in OT but injury to Perry Ellis is major concern 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how bad was Indiana’s loss to Iowa? 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s Frank Kaminsky’s award to win 1
- Ohio Valley Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 1
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations 10
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (20)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)