Nov 24, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
The story of High Point senior forward Allan Chaney is one college basketball fans may be familiar with. After transferring to Virginia Tech from Florida Chaney was told by doctors in 2010 that a case of viral mycarditis, an infection that results in inflammation of the heart, would end his basketball career.
The road back to the court was a long and difficult one, as even with his being cleared by doctors after the implanting of a wireless internal defibrillator Chaney was not cleared to play at Virginia Tech. He would eventually wind up at High Point, where last season he averaged 14.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game on a team that won a share of the Big South regular season title and finished with an overall record of 17-14.
As a senior Chaney is expected to once again figure prominently in High Point’s plans, but according to Ryan Fagan of The Sporting News Chaney collapsed during High Point’s game against Wofford on Sunday afternoon.
Those who knew Chaney’s story and dared to look saw Chaney, who missed two full seasons with heart problems before turning in an excellent 2012-13 season for High Point, surrounded by coaches and medical personnel. His knees were bent, and he kept lifting his head off the ground, which was an encouraging sign. When he stood on his own and walked off the floor, the crowd offered a resounding cheer of support.
Shortly after the incident High Point SID Jon Litchfield told Fagan that Chaney’s wireless internal defibrillator went off for an unknown reason, and that the forward is OK.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)