Nov 24, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
The story of High Point senior forward Allan Chaney is one college basketball fans may be familiar with. After transferring to Virginia Tech from Florida Chaney was told by doctors in 2010 that a case of viral mycarditis, an infection that results in inflammation of the heart, would end his basketball career.
The road back to the court was a long and difficult one, as even with his being cleared by doctors after the implanting of a wireless internal defibrillator Chaney was not cleared to play at Virginia Tech. He would eventually wind up at High Point, where last season he averaged 14.5 points and 8.1 rebounds per game on a team that won a share of the Big South regular season title and finished with an overall record of 17-14.
As a senior Chaney is expected to once again figure prominently in High Point’s plans, but according to Ryan Fagan of The Sporting News Chaney collapsed during High Point’s game against Wofford on Sunday afternoon.
Those who knew Chaney’s story and dared to look saw Chaney, who missed two full seasons with heart problems before turning in an excellent 2012-13 season for High Point, surrounded by coaches and medical personnel. His knees were bent, and he kept lifting his head off the ground, which was an encouraging sign. When he stood on his own and walked off the floor, the crowd offered a resounding cheer of support.
Shortly after the incident High Point SID Jon Litchfield told Fagan that Chaney’s wireless internal defibrillator went off for an unknown reason, and that the forward is OK.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)