Nov 25, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
Yesterday, Billy Donovan made it official: starting point guard Scottie Wilbekin will be allowed to return to the team this week.
The Gators host Jacksonville tonight. He’ll be there and in uniform, which is a fact made all the more important by the loss of Kasey Hill to an ankle sprain.
But Wilbekin wasn’t the only player suspended by Donovan.
South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris was as well, as his return to the Florida lineup doesn’t seem as likely.
“Right now, he’s been gone for 25 days,” Donovan told The Gainesville Sun. “I don’t have any hope he’s going to come back. We’re still going to try to help him and work with him and try to get him to do the things he needs to do, but there’s no level of accountability on the things that he needs to do on a regular basis.”
Without Harris and with Chris Walker still sidelined with eligibility issues, Florida’s frontline isn’t quite as deep as it looked heading into the season. But the Gators have the depth to deal with it: Dorian Finney-Smith, Patric Young and Will Yeguete all on the roster.
- 2014-15 Southern Conference Preview: Wofford, Chattanooga favored in Davidson’s absence 0
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)