Nov 25, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
Yesterday, Billy Donovan made it official: starting point guard Scottie Wilbekin will be allowed to return to the team this week.
The Gators host Jacksonville tonight. He’ll be there and in uniform, which is a fact made all the more important by the loss of Kasey Hill to an ankle sprain.
But Wilbekin wasn’t the only player suspended by Donovan.
South Carolina transfer Damontre Harris was as well, as his return to the Florida lineup doesn’t seem as likely.
“Right now, he’s been gone for 25 days,” Donovan told The Gainesville Sun. “I don’t have any hope he’s going to come back. We’re still going to try to help him and work with him and try to get him to do the things he needs to do, but there’s no level of accountability on the things that he needs to do on a regular basis.”
Without Harris and with Chris Walker still sidelined with eligibility issues, Florida’s frontline isn’t quite as deep as it looked heading into the season. But the Gators have the depth to deal with it: Dorian Finney-Smith, Patric Young and Will Yeguete all on the roster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 3
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed 10
- Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood score 54 in No. 4 Duke’s win over No. 14 UNC 0
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (11)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)