Nov 25, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Michigan State is still the No. 1 team in the country, because I don’t think you can replace the No. 1 team in the country if they don’t lose or if the No. 2 team doesn’t mess around and do something ridiculous, like beat the other three top five teams in the span of a week.
We did have some movement, however, as Duke moved down despite winning every game they played.
Any questions? Concerns? Commentary on why I hate your team and love your rival? Get at me in the comments below.
1. Michigan State (6-0): The Spartans remained at the top of the rankings thanks to wins over Portland, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma. They should be fine as long as Tom Izzo doesn’t blow a gasket with the new foul rules.
2. Kansas (4-0): Kansas stayed No. 2 after wins over Towson and Iona this week. They’re at the Battle 4 Atlantis this week.
3. Kentucky (4-1): Like Kansas, Kentucky had another quiet week. They’ll get a good test against undefeated Providence at the Barclays Center on Sunday night.
4. Arizona (5-0): I love Arizona. They got the bump up from No. 6 thanks to their versatility. They can play big, with Aaron Gordon at the two and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson at the three, or they can put Gordon at the four with Brandon Ashley at the five and three guards on the court. Also worth noting just how good Nick Johnson and Gabe York have been.
5. Oklahoma State (4-0): The Pokes look like the real deal after embarrassing Memphis. Marcus Smart is OK. They were No. 8 last week.
6. Ohio State (4-0): An uninspiring win over American won’t change my opinion of the Buckeyes all that much. I’m putting an APB out on LaQuinton Ross.
7. Duke (5-1): I dropped the Blue Devils from No. 5 this week because I’m getting really concerned about their ability to defend. Vermont dropped 90 on them and had a chance to win at the buzzer last night. East Carolina shredded them with dribble penetration. They don’t have a rim protector and they cannot keep anyone out of the lane. Rasheed Sulaimon belongs on the same APB as LaQuinton Ross.
8. Louisville (5-1): If you ask be why Louisville is ranked ahead of No. 15 North Carolina, you better be ready to tell me why Belmont is a top ten team. So don’t do it. That said, I think this group is going to figure out their issues — this was their first loss since the five-overtime game against Notre Dame, their season isn’t over — and I’m still not convinced North Carolina is truly as good as they were yesterday.
9. Syracuse (4-0): The Orange are still riding high on their preseason hype, but they really haven’t done much yet to back it up. They’re in Maui this week, so we’ll see if this top ten rankings is truly deserved.
10. Wisconsin (6-0): The Badgers keep rolling along. Frank Kaminsky popped off for 43 points as Wisconsin dropped 100 this week.
11. UConn (6-0)
12. Oregon (4-0)
13. Wichita State (4-0)
14. Gonzaga (4-0)
15. North Carolina (4-1)
16. Florida (4-1)
17. Baylor (4-0)
18. UCLA (5-0)
19. Virginia (4-1)
20. Iowa State (4-0)
21. Iowa (5-0)
22. Creighton (4-0)
23. Indiana (5-1)
24. UMass (6-0)
25. Michigan (4-2)
Apr 26, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Nick Noskowiak joins former Arkansas guard Nick Babb as players who have committed to Iowa State this month.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
Skinner was the longtime coach of Boston College.
Apr 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Avery Johnson is touring with Nick Saban to get more familiar with being a head coach at Alabama.
UAA Day 2: The return of Seventh Woods; Markelle Fultz is the real deal; Josh Jackson’s up-and-down day
Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The Under Armour Association has plenty of talented players in its league this season, including former mixtape star Seventh Woods and the No. 1 player in the Class of 2016, Josh Jackson.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Malik Monk had a dominating effort on Saturday while Harry Giles didn’t make much of an impact.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Josh Jackson went for 41 points, seven assists and six rebounds at the Under Armour Association.
Apr 26, 2015, 8:54 AM EDT
Ferrell would have been a second round pick.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:19 PM EDT
Taylor averaged 13.1 points and 4.6 assists per game last season, and his decision to return is a nice boost for head coach Shaka Smart.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Graduate students Max Bielfeldt and Tyler Harris were in Ames this weekend, as was former Marquette commit Nick Noskowiak.
Wisconsin’s Josh Gasser, Duje Dukan serve as honorary coaches for football team’s spring game (VIDEO)
Apr 25, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Gasser’s team beat Dukan’s by the final score of 35-7.
Apr 25, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Turner won MAC Rookie of the Year honors in 2013-14.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:59 PM EDT
Junior Etou averaged 7.4 points and 6.6 rebounds per game last season.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:33 PM EDT
King averaged 7.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game last season at Memphis.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
Thornton will fill the void left by Tyus Jones at the point.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Oregon landed a commitment from a former San Diego State pledge.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Maryland returns another reserve guard for next season.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
The opening night of the EYBL had some high-level matchups and a great performance from the Houston Hoops duo of De’Aaron Fox and Jarred Vanderbilt.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Get out of the way if M.J. Walker is sizing you up for a dunk.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:39 PM EDT
He will be attending law school.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
Kaleb Tarczewski decided to return to Arizona earlier in the day.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 1
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)