Nov 25, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Michigan State is still the No. 1 team in the country, because I don’t think you can replace the No. 1 team in the country if they don’t lose or if the No. 2 team doesn’t mess around and do something ridiculous, like beat the other three top five teams in the span of a week.
We did have some movement, however, as Duke moved down despite winning every game they played.
Any questions? Concerns? Commentary on why I hate your team and love your rival? Get at me in the comments below.
1. Michigan State (6-0): The Spartans remained at the top of the rankings thanks to wins over Portland, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma. They should be fine as long as Tom Izzo doesn’t blow a gasket with the new foul rules.
2. Kansas (4-0): Kansas stayed No. 2 after wins over Towson and Iona this week. They’re at the Battle 4 Atlantis this week.
3. Kentucky (4-1): Like Kansas, Kentucky had another quiet week. They’ll get a good test against undefeated Providence at the Barclays Center on Sunday night.
4. Arizona (5-0): I love Arizona. They got the bump up from No. 6 thanks to their versatility. They can play big, with Aaron Gordon at the two and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson at the three, or they can put Gordon at the four with Brandon Ashley at the five and three guards on the court. Also worth noting just how good Nick Johnson and Gabe York have been.
5. Oklahoma State (4-0): The Pokes look like the real deal after embarrassing Memphis. Marcus Smart is OK. They were No. 8 last week.
6. Ohio State (4-0): An uninspiring win over American won’t change my opinion of the Buckeyes all that much. I’m putting an APB out on LaQuinton Ross.
7. Duke (5-1): I dropped the Blue Devils from No. 5 this week because I’m getting really concerned about their ability to defend. Vermont dropped 90 on them and had a chance to win at the buzzer last night. East Carolina shredded them with dribble penetration. They don’t have a rim protector and they cannot keep anyone out of the lane. Rasheed Sulaimon belongs on the same APB as LaQuinton Ross.
8. Louisville (5-1): If you ask be why Louisville is ranked ahead of No. 15 North Carolina, you better be ready to tell me why Belmont is a top ten team. So don’t do it. That said, I think this group is going to figure out their issues — this was their first loss since the five-overtime game against Notre Dame, their season isn’t over — and I’m still not convinced North Carolina is truly as good as they were yesterday.
9. Syracuse (4-0): The Orange are still riding high on their preseason hype, but they really haven’t done much yet to back it up. They’re in Maui this week, so we’ll see if this top ten rankings is truly deserved.
10. Wisconsin (6-0): The Badgers keep rolling along. Frank Kaminsky popped off for 43 points as Wisconsin dropped 100 this week.
11. UConn (6-0)
12. Oregon (4-0)
13. Wichita State (4-0)
14. Gonzaga (4-0)
15. North Carolina (4-1)
16. Florida (4-1)
17. Baylor (4-0)
18. UCLA (5-0)
19. Virginia (4-1)
20. Iowa State (4-0)
21. Iowa (5-0)
22. Creighton (4-0)
23. Indiana (5-1)
24. UMass (6-0)
25. Michigan (4-2)
Oct 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Wisconsin forward is likely to miss a week or two
Oct 24, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Ed Cooley adds a 6-foot-8 forward to the Friars’ front court.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The former Virginia Tech Hokie will be a big boost to SMU’s perimeter.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Manhattan and head coach Steve Masiello had some issues to address this spring, but thanks in part to their departed senior class the Jaspers are well-positioned to once again contend in the MAAC.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
One of the nation’s highly-touted bigs is closer to making a decision after eliminating two programs from his list.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
Jones became the second coach to lead LSU to postseason appearances in his first two years this past spring.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Kellogg’s led his alma mater to 21 wins or more in each of the last three seasons.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Georgetown holds a 35-29 lead in their all-time series with UConn.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Villanova went 29-5 last season and return essentially the same lineup. Why aren’t more people talking about them?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:13 PM EDT
Texas now has two four-star commitments, with Kerwin Roach joining Eric Davis on Friday.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Of Baylor’s five verbal commitments in the Class of 2015 four are guards, including their latest commit.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Kentucky’s on top, but who’s next in line?
Oct 24, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT
Syracuse’s men’s basketball and football programs are under investigation, with the stakes being higher for Jim Boeheim’s program.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Joshua Smith averaged 11.5 points per game before being ruled academically ineligible last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:49 PM EDT
Cam Payne became the star of Murray State as a freshman, but he wouldn’t have gotten there if he had a back up. Why?
Oct 23, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
The preseason favorites to win the Atlantic 10 added a new teammate Thursday.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
Shawn Lester averaged 11.9 points and 4.2 rebounds per game in the sixth man role last season.
Oct 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Hallice Cooke will have one hip operated on Monday, with the second surgery coming four weeks later.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Christian James joins Rashard Odomes and Akolda Manyang in Oklahoma’s 2015 haul.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)