Nov 25, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
Michigan State is still the No. 1 team in the country, because I don’t think you can replace the No. 1 team in the country if they don’t lose or if the No. 2 team doesn’t mess around and do something ridiculous, like beat the other three top five teams in the span of a week.
We did have some movement, however, as Duke moved down despite winning every game they played.
Any questions? Concerns? Commentary on why I hate your team and love your rival? Get at me in the comments below.
1. Michigan State (6-0): The Spartans remained at the top of the rankings thanks to wins over Portland, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma. They should be fine as long as Tom Izzo doesn’t blow a gasket with the new foul rules.
2. Kansas (4-0): Kansas stayed No. 2 after wins over Towson and Iona this week. They’re at the Battle 4 Atlantis this week.
3. Kentucky (4-1): Like Kansas, Kentucky had another quiet week. They’ll get a good test against undefeated Providence at the Barclays Center on Sunday night.
4. Arizona (5-0): I love Arizona. They got the bump up from No. 6 thanks to their versatility. They can play big, with Aaron Gordon at the two and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson at the three, or they can put Gordon at the four with Brandon Ashley at the five and three guards on the court. Also worth noting just how good Nick Johnson and Gabe York have been.
5. Oklahoma State (4-0): The Pokes look like the real deal after embarrassing Memphis. Marcus Smart is OK. They were No. 8 last week.
6. Ohio State (4-0): An uninspiring win over American won’t change my opinion of the Buckeyes all that much. I’m putting an APB out on LaQuinton Ross.
7. Duke (5-1): I dropped the Blue Devils from No. 5 this week because I’m getting really concerned about their ability to defend. Vermont dropped 90 on them and had a chance to win at the buzzer last night. East Carolina shredded them with dribble penetration. They don’t have a rim protector and they cannot keep anyone out of the lane. Rasheed Sulaimon belongs on the same APB as LaQuinton Ross.
8. Louisville (5-1): If you ask be why Louisville is ranked ahead of No. 15 North Carolina, you better be ready to tell me why Belmont is a top ten team. So don’t do it. That said, I think this group is going to figure out their issues — this was their first loss since the five-overtime game against Notre Dame, their season isn’t over — and I’m still not convinced North Carolina is truly as good as they were yesterday.
9. Syracuse (4-0): The Orange are still riding high on their preseason hype, but they really haven’t done much yet to back it up. They’re in Maui this week, so we’ll see if this top ten rankings is truly deserved.
10. Wisconsin (6-0): The Badgers keep rolling along. Frank Kaminsky popped off for 43 points as Wisconsin dropped 100 this week.
11. UConn (6-0)
12. Oregon (4-0)
13. Wichita State (4-0)
14. Gonzaga (4-0)
15. North Carolina (4-1)
16. Florida (4-1)
17. Baylor (4-0)
18. UCLA (5-0)
19. Virginia (4-1)
20. Iowa State (4-0)
21. Iowa (5-0)
22. Creighton (4-0)
23. Indiana (5-1)
24. UMass (6-0)
25. Michigan (4-2)
Nov 24, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Florida Gulf Coast suspended a key player for three games on Monday.
Nov 24, 2014, 4:25 PM EST
Baylor lost a commitment from a 2015 guard.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:24 PM EST
Jerian Grant was dominant in the final 12 minutes against Providence.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:36 PM EST
Once again, the Maui has put together a loaded field.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
There will be some fun basketball games on Monday night.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:19 PM EST
Atson was called by one scout the “Chris Herren of New Haven”.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:41 AM EST
Henton went for 38 against Notre Dame, while West Virginia won the Puerto Rico Tip-Off.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Look at how far away from the rim he takes off.
Nov 24, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Putting together a top 25 this early is tough to do as we balance expectations with early season performance.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:10 AM EST
No. 1 Kentucky set a new school record, Ohio State’s Shannon Scott broke Aaron Craft’s single-game assist record and more.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
‘Buckets’ earned his nickname because he gets … buckets.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:49 PM EST
A week that began with a win at No. 7 Florida ended with a commanding victory over Charlotte at the Gildan Charleston Classic.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:57 PM EST
West Virginia has better depth and toughness than they had a season ago, and those improvements paid off in Puerto Rico this weekend.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:55 PM EST
The 5-foot-10 guard has a standing vertical of 38 inches. That’s pretty good.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:10 PM EST
Kadeem Jack missed the first two games of the season with a thumb injury.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
With Cullen Neal already dealing with an ankle injury, Arthur Edwards is the latest Lobo dealing with a health issue.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:34 PM EST
Rakim Lubin was averaging five minutes per contest in UConn’s first three games.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:16 PM EST
House scored 18 points, shooting 7-for-11 from the field, in Texas A&M’s 64-51 win over New Mexico.
Nov 23, 2014, 3:55 PM EST
Yale forward Matt Townsend was named a Rhodes Scholar this weekend, a rare honor only give to 32 American students each year.
Nov 23, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Danuel House made his presence felt immediately for Texas A&M.
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 0
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 4
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)