Nov 25, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
Michigan State is still the No. 1 team in the country, because I don’t think you can replace the No. 1 team in the country if they don’t lose or if the No. 2 team doesn’t mess around and do something ridiculous, like beat the other three top five teams in the span of a week.
We did have some movement, however, as Duke moved down despite winning every game they played.
Any questions? Concerns? Commentary on why I hate your team and love your rival? Get at me in the comments below.
1. Michigan State (6-0): The Spartans remained at the top of the rankings thanks to wins over Portland, Virginia Tech and Oklahoma. They should be fine as long as Tom Izzo doesn’t blow a gasket with the new foul rules.
2. Kansas (4-0): Kansas stayed No. 2 after wins over Towson and Iona this week. They’re at the Battle 4 Atlantis this week.
3. Kentucky (4-1): Like Kansas, Kentucky had another quiet week. They’ll get a good test against undefeated Providence at the Barclays Center on Sunday night.
4. Arizona (5-0): I love Arizona. They got the bump up from No. 6 thanks to their versatility. They can play big, with Aaron Gordon at the two and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson at the three, or they can put Gordon at the four with Brandon Ashley at the five and three guards on the court. Also worth noting just how good Nick Johnson and Gabe York have been.
5. Oklahoma State (4-0): The Pokes look like the real deal after embarrassing Memphis. Marcus Smart is OK. They were No. 8 last week.
6. Ohio State (4-0): An uninspiring win over American won’t change my opinion of the Buckeyes all that much. I’m putting an APB out on LaQuinton Ross.
7. Duke (5-1): I dropped the Blue Devils from No. 5 this week because I’m getting really concerned about their ability to defend. Vermont dropped 90 on them and had a chance to win at the buzzer last night. East Carolina shredded them with dribble penetration. They don’t have a rim protector and they cannot keep anyone out of the lane. Rasheed Sulaimon belongs on the same APB as LaQuinton Ross.
8. Louisville (5-1): If you ask be why Louisville is ranked ahead of No. 15 North Carolina, you better be ready to tell me why Belmont is a top ten team. So don’t do it. That said, I think this group is going to figure out their issues — this was their first loss since the five-overtime game against Notre Dame, their season isn’t over — and I’m still not convinced North Carolina is truly as good as they were yesterday.
9. Syracuse (4-0): The Orange are still riding high on their preseason hype, but they really haven’t done much yet to back it up. They’re in Maui this week, so we’ll see if this top ten rankings is truly deserved.
10. Wisconsin (6-0): The Badgers keep rolling along. Frank Kaminsky popped off for 43 points as Wisconsin dropped 100 this week.
11. UConn (6-0)
12. Oregon (4-0)
13. Wichita State (4-0)
14. Gonzaga (4-0)
15. North Carolina (4-1)
16. Florida (4-1)
17. Baylor (4-0)
18. UCLA (5-0)
19. Virginia (4-1)
20. Iowa State (4-0)
21. Iowa (5-0)
22. Creighton (4-0)
23. Indiana (5-1)
24. UMass (6-0)
25. Michigan (4-2)
Mar 28, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Barnes coached at Texas for 17 seasons.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT
So Andrew Harrison was a grown man in middle school?
Arrests made as Michigan State fans gather, set fires near off-campus apartments after Sweet 16 win (VIDEO)
Mar 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Some Michigan State students got a little too rowdy following a win over Oklahoma.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
The Citadel hired away the head coach of a Southern Conference rival.
Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey on college hoops: ‘It’s absolute torture watching some of these games’ (AUDIO)
Mar 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey had some strong words on the current state of college basketball.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Frank Kaminsky’s path to stardom may not follow that of last year’s national Player of the Year winner, Doug McDermott, but it’s one that many players hope to navigate during their own time in school.
Tom Izzo blames himself, new Will Ferrell/Kevin Hart movie on Michigan State’s sluggish Sweet 16 start
Mar 28, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Michigan State might have been the only people in the country watching “Get Hard” on Friday afternoon.
Former oddsmaker believes Kentucky would be underdog against all-time great college basketball teams
Mar 28, 2015, 9:40 AM EDT
Kentucky might finish the 2014-15 season unblemished, but how do they stack up against some of the best teams in college basketball history?
Mar 28, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Get caught up on all of Friday’s NCAA tournament action.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:35 AM EDT
ACC teams went 2-1 Friday night, with Louisville’s win over NC State being the league’s lone defeat.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:27 AM EDT
The schedule for Sunday’s Elite 8 games.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:23 AM EDT
Second straight Elite 8 appearance for Tom Izzo and Co.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
No. 1 Duke advanced to the Elite 8 with a win in the South Regional over No. 5 Utah.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This is a pretty nice move from Amile Jefferson.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Wardle spent five seasons as coach at Green Bay.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT
Will play the winner of Michigan State-Oklahoma.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:39 PM EDT
Caleb Martin’s only two points of the game.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:26 PM EDT
Gonzaga defeated UCLA to advance to the Elite 8 for the first time under head coach Mark Few.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
Andy Toole has been with Robert Morris for five seasons.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:53 PM EDT
Nice big man-to-big man pass.
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 0
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 1
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 7
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 7
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)