Nov 26, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
The 2013-2014 season is sure to be a thrilling Player of the Year race, so to keep track of it, we will be posting weekly Player of the Year Power Rankings for your reading goodness.
Who’d we miss? Who’s ranked too high? We love to overlook your team’s best player and overrate your rival’s superstar.
1) Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State): Smart followed up his dominant performance against Memphis with 23 first half points in a win over South Florida. He’s averaging 21.0 points, 3.6 assists, 4.0 boards, 4.2 steals and shooting 35.5% from three.
2) Jahii Carson (Arizona State): Arizona State has now notched wins over UNLV (on the road) and Marquette (at home). Carson is averaging 31.5 points and 6.0 assists in those two games.
3) Shabazz Napier (UConn): Napier made every big play down the stretch against Indiana, finishing with 27 points on 10-for-14 shooting from the floor.
4) Marcus Paige (North Carolina): Three times this season, Paige has set a career-high for himself. The latest came on Sunday, when he went for 32 points in a win over Louisville.
5) Jabari Parker (Duke): Parker has scored at least 20 in his first six games as a collegian, shooting 68.8% from three in that time. He’s been great, but I’m waiting for him to be great in a huge win for the Blue Devils. It’ll come soon enough.
6) Doug McDermott (Creighton): His numbers — 27.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 55.1% FG, 50.0% 3PT — are awesome. The competition hasn’t been. Creighton gets Arizona State on Thursday.
7) Julius Randle (Kentucky): Six straight double-doubles, and 19.8 points and 13.7 boards. The turnovers need to come down, but Randle’s numbers will keep going up.
8) Perry Ellis (Kansas): Even with all those talented freshmen on the roster, the best player for the Jayhawks through the first three weeks? Perry Ellis.
9) Keith Appling (Michigan State): Appling has been terrific this season, and put on a show late against Oklahoma, when he finished with 27 points and made every big shot down the stretch.
10) Tyler Haws (BYU): Haws is averaging 26.0 points for the Cougars, but struggled a bit in their loss to Iowa State at home.
Others: Aaron Craft, Aaron Gordon, Rodney Hood, Nick Johnson, Roberto Nelson, Russ Smith, Andrew Wiggins, Joseph Young
Sep 19, 2014, 9:44 AM EDT
Lorenzo Romar spoke positively of Robert Upshaw’s progress, and with the Huskies’ lack of interior depth the Fresno State transfer will be a key figure this season.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Among the schools still in the running for this Top 100 prospect’s services is LSU.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT
FGCU’s Sweet 16 run in 2013 paid off in a big way for the athletic department.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Mizzou Arena’s just ten years old, but the school has found some areas that need renovating.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM EDT
Freeberg makes the move from the College of Charleston to The Citadel, with J.D. Powell headed in the opposite direction.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
John Calipari helped some campers waiting for Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness sleep a little easier by giving away a mattress and some pillows.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Baylor will be without an incoming recruit for the 2014-15 season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Coach K responded to recent criticisms lobbied at him about unfair recruiting advantages as USA Basketball’s coach.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Providence is hoping a key member of its backcourt will be healthy this season after two straight years with a shoulder injury.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
One five-star prospect heard a recruiting pitch centered on LeBron James’ homecoming to Cleveland.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Vince Carter highlight reels are still the best.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
With Isaiah Briscoe moving on to the college ranks next summer, Duval could be the next elite guard produced by the Playaz Basketball Club.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Last year’s Hoops on the Haasephalt event attracted nearly 4,000 fans on the UAB campus.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Despite rumors to the contrary, one of the best players in the Class of 2015 is 100 percent committed to attending LSU next year.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
“The Grateful Red” snapped up every available ticket within five minutes Wednesday morning.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nittany Lions return five of their top six scorers from a team that finished the 2013-14 season with a 16-18 record (6-12 Big Ten).
Sep 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim is not one to bite his tongue around the media.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)