Nov 26, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
The 2013-2014 season is sure to be a thrilling Player of the Year race, so to keep track of it, we will be posting weekly Player of the Year Power Rankings for your reading goodness.
Who’d we miss? Who’s ranked too high? We love to overlook your team’s best player and overrate your rival’s superstar.
1) Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State): Smart followed up his dominant performance against Memphis with 23 first half points in a win over South Florida. He’s averaging 21.0 points, 3.6 assists, 4.0 boards, 4.2 steals and shooting 35.5% from three.
2) Jahii Carson (Arizona State): Arizona State has now notched wins over UNLV (on the road) and Marquette (at home). Carson is averaging 31.5 points and 6.0 assists in those two games.
3) Shabazz Napier (UConn): Napier made every big play down the stretch against Indiana, finishing with 27 points on 10-for-14 shooting from the floor.
4) Marcus Paige (North Carolina): Three times this season, Paige has set a career-high for himself. The latest came on Sunday, when he went for 32 points in a win over Louisville.
5) Jabari Parker (Duke): Parker has scored at least 20 in his first six games as a collegian, shooting 68.8% from three in that time. He’s been great, but I’m waiting for him to be great in a huge win for the Blue Devils. It’ll come soon enough.
6) Doug McDermott (Creighton): His numbers — 27.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 55.1% FG, 50.0% 3PT — are awesome. The competition hasn’t been. Creighton gets Arizona State on Thursday.
7) Julius Randle (Kentucky): Six straight double-doubles, and 19.8 points and 13.7 boards. The turnovers need to come down, but Randle’s numbers will keep going up.
8) Perry Ellis (Kansas): Even with all those talented freshmen on the roster, the best player for the Jayhawks through the first three weeks? Perry Ellis.
9) Keith Appling (Michigan State): Appling has been terrific this season, and put on a show late against Oklahoma, when he finished with 27 points and made every big shot down the stretch.
10) Tyler Haws (BYU): Haws is averaging 26.0 points for the Cougars, but struggled a bit in their loss to Iowa State at home.
Others: Aaron Craft, Aaron Gordon, Rodney Hood, Nick Johnson, Roberto Nelson, Russ Smith, Andrew Wiggins, Joseph Young
Mar 11, 2014, 1:16 PM EDT
This was obvious, wasn’t it? I mean, Dougie McBuckets has only been at the top of our National Player of the Year Power Rankings for months, and we’ve only been calling him a shoe-in for the National Player of the Year award since late-January. The bottom-line is this: McDermott put up enormous numbers this season…
Mar 11, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Saint Louis will look to repeat as the Atlantic 10 Tournament champion, but it won’t be easy. The field in Brooklyn could have six, yes six, NCAA tournament-bound teams.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
When you take your team to 34-0, you’re the National Coach of the Year. Pretty sure our forefathers wrote that into the Constitution.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Now 15 teams deep, the ACC’s showcase event will span five days in Greensboro. Between the new arrivals, one upcoming departure and a plethora of talented players, this will be must-see television.
Mar 11, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
The Duke star is NBCSports.com’s National Freshman of the Year.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
South Dakota will not be renewing the contract of their interim head coach.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
Click through to find out why it’s important to pay your rent on time.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
How safe is Gonzaga after last night’s win? Where will Delaware be seeded come Sunday?
Mar 11, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Florida is the best team in the country, let alone the SEC. But what else do we know about anyone in the league? Read why this week will tell us so much.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:52 AM EDT
Three more teams are dancing after tonight’s exhilarating conference tournament action.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:05 AM EDT
There are eight days left until Selection Sunday. Every morning from now until the bracket comes out, we’ll help you get caught up on the happenings with impact on the bubble from the night before. Our latest bracket projection can be found here. Gonzaga: The Zags entered Monday night’s WCC quarterfinal sitting in pretty good…
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
In less than 36 months, Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello has taken the Jaspers from 6-25 to the NCAA tournament.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Wofford is heading back to the NCAA tournament for the third time in the last five years.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Cameron Bairstow spent his offseason toiling in international competition, and return to New Mexico with a chip on his shoulder. After a season spent toying with the other Mountain West frontcourts, Bairstow’s efforts might not get the necessary recognition.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Highlights of Delaware’s win in the CAA title game, as seen on the NBC Sports Network.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
Can the Fightin’ Joe Bidens make their way out of the NCAA tournament’s opening round?
Mar 10, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
The MAAC was one of the best mid-major conferences this season, but will that translate into an upset for Muh-hat-en?
Mar 10, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Joel Embiid will miss the Big 12 tournament and likely will be out for the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. What does this mean for Kansas?
Mar 10, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
This is great. The bench mob for the Colby College Mules has extensive choreographed sideline celebrations. Their best is the “El Toro Tres Puntos”. Without a doubt. (h/t Colby’s finest)
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 0
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 0
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 2
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)