Nov 26, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
The 2013-2014 season is sure to be a thrilling Player of the Year race, so to keep track of it, we will be posting weekly Player of the Year Power Rankings for your reading goodness.
Who’d we miss? Who’s ranked too high? We love to overlook your team’s best player and overrate your rival’s superstar.
1) Marcus Smart (Oklahoma State): Smart followed up his dominant performance against Memphis with 23 first half points in a win over South Florida. He’s averaging 21.0 points, 3.6 assists, 4.0 boards, 4.2 steals and shooting 35.5% from three.
2) Jahii Carson (Arizona State): Arizona State has now notched wins over UNLV (on the road) and Marquette (at home). Carson is averaging 31.5 points and 6.0 assists in those two games.
3) Shabazz Napier (UConn): Napier made every big play down the stretch against Indiana, finishing with 27 points on 10-for-14 shooting from the floor.
4) Marcus Paige (North Carolina): Three times this season, Paige has set a career-high for himself. The latest came on Sunday, when he went for 32 points in a win over Louisville.
5) Jabari Parker (Duke): Parker has scored at least 20 in his first six games as a collegian, shooting 68.8% from three in that time. He’s been great, but I’m waiting for him to be great in a huge win for the Blue Devils. It’ll come soon enough.
6) Doug McDermott (Creighton): His numbers — 27.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 55.1% FG, 50.0% 3PT — are awesome. The competition hasn’t been. Creighton gets Arizona State on Thursday.
7) Julius Randle (Kentucky): Six straight double-doubles, and 19.8 points and 13.7 boards. The turnovers need to come down, but Randle’s numbers will keep going up.
8) Perry Ellis (Kansas): Even with all those talented freshmen on the roster, the best player for the Jayhawks through the first three weeks? Perry Ellis.
9) Keith Appling (Michigan State): Appling has been terrific this season, and put on a show late against Oklahoma, when he finished with 27 points and made every big shot down the stretch.
10) Tyler Haws (BYU): Haws is averaging 26.0 points for the Cougars, but struggled a bit in their loss to Iowa State at home.
Others: Aaron Craft, Aaron Gordon, Rodney Hood, Nick Johnson, Roberto Nelson, Russ Smith, Andrew Wiggins, Joseph Young
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
Jul 1, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Next up for the United States is Italy, and they could run into hosts Greece in the semifinals.
Jul 1, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Jones recently received his qualifying score on the SAT, only to inform SDSU that he wanted to be released from his NLI.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)