Nov 26, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
The younger Pitino is now at Minnesota, which sets up a potential Big Ten-ACC clash beginning next season when Louisville leaves the American after a one-year stint. According to WDRB.com, the elder Pitino wants the 2014-2015 campaign to open against his son’s Golden Gophers on a neutral site.
“I will let you guys in on the scoop of the year,” Pitino said in an interview with me (Rick Bozich), Eric Crawford and Steve Andress of WDRB Sports.
“If everything goes according to Hoyle, we will open up on a military base with Minnesota on national television next season.”
“We’re working on that now, but it could be Puerto Rico if it all works,” Pitino said. “We haven’t signed contracts. It’s a long way from done. But it could be on a military base opening the season next year.”
Rick first stated he wanted to go head-to-head with his son again in early September during a press conference at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield. Though back then, he wanted Louisville to get paired with Minnesota as part of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.
“I’m hoping, that the Big Ten/ACC Challenge … I’m hoping that we get matched up them because it terms of a home and home, I’m not playing him,” Pitino said. “I think it would be fun. I played him at FIU and he was totally mismatched, and at least we can play on more equal terms.”
The next game between the two coaches may be on more equal terms, but father and son don’t seem to be on the same page. Several weeks after his father’s comments at Hall of Fame, Richard cooled the talks of the potential matchup.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 4
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend (4)