Nov 27, 2013, 1:42 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: Baylor 67, Dayton 66
Baylor trailed by double-digits in the second half, but some late-game 3-pointers from Royce O’Neale and Gary Franklin set up Cory Jefferson’s heroics. He corralled a miss from Kenny Chery to put Baylor up 67-66 with 16 seconds to play. Baylor lead for a total of 2:08 on the evening. Dayton outplayed the Bears, but the Flyers will head to the third-place game to play Cal. Baylor and Syracuse meet in a battle of two top-20 teams on Wednesday night in the Maui Invitational final.
What would Maui be without a crazy finish?
No. 10 Wisconsin 63, Saint Louis 57: The Badgers handed the Billikens their first loss of the season, while they stay undefeated. Frank Kaminsky led the way with 12 points, eight rebounds and four blocks.
No. 12 Wichita State 75, BYU 62: The Shockers won the CBE Hall of Fame Classic, holding the Cougars without a field goal for the final eight minutes. BYU entered the game scoring 93.2 points per game. Ron Baker had a career-high 23 points.
Syracuse 92, Cal 81: The Golden Bears kept it close even without Richard Solomon, but career highs from Jerami Grant and Tyler Ennis put the Orange in the Maui Invitational final against Baylor.
Jon Severe, Fordham: If you don’t know about this Fordham freshman, now you do. The 6-foot-3 Brooklyn native led Fordham over Manhattan with 30 points and five rebounds.
Metro State: The top team in Division II defeated its third Division I program during the NIT Season Tip-Off with an 83-69 win over MAAC contender Canisius. Mitch McCarron led the way with 28 points. He’s averaging 27.5 points per game against D1 teams this year.
Jordan Dykstra, South Dakota State: The Jackrabbits picked up their second straight win behind the senior forward’s 32-point, 13-rebound performance.
Tyler Haws, BYU: He scored 17 points, but he struggled, shooting 3-of-15 from the field in a loss to Wichita State.
Rutgers: Fairleigh Dickinson defeated Rutgers on Tuesday, the program’s first win over a Division I program in 21 games. The Knights lost to Division II Metro State earlier this season.
Rico Gathers’ celebration: Courtesy of Mark Titus:
THE REST OF THE TOP 25
- No. 13 Connecticut stayed undefeated with a 76-66 win over Loyola (Md.). Shabazz Napier only scored four points, but had seven points and seven assists along with three steals.
- Pittsburgh won the Legends Classic in Brooklyn in an 88-67 win over Stanford.
- Boston College trailed at half, but defeated Sacred Heart behind Ryan Anderson’s 28 points and 10 rebounds.
- Syracuse may have the best dunking team. Example A HERE. Example B HERE.
- Gonzaga bounced back with a 113-81 win over Chaminade behind 18 points and seven assists from Kevin Pangos.
- Marshall Henderson only logged 13 minutes, scoring eight points in an 84-50 win over North Carolina A&T.
- Pendarvis Willaims scored 32 points, grabbed seven rebounds and five assists in Norfolk State’s win. OK, it was against against a D2 opponent, but the reigning MEAC Player of the Year is a legitimate pro prospect.
- Elon bounced-back from a loss to Metro State with a 90-85 win over Georgia State. Kentucky transfer Ryan Harrow had 34 points for Georgia State.
- Noah Vonleh connected on his first collegiate three. More importantly, he posted his fifth double-double in Indiana’s 77-46 win over Evansville.
- Chris Obekpa had six of St. John’s 15 blocks in the Red Storm’s 65-47 win over Longwood.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
Tony Criswell will not be traveling with Missouri to the SEC tournament in Atlanta this week. Head coach Frank Haith simply said that Criswell “has some things to take care of”, and according to Dave Matter of Post-Dispatch, those things are actually $2,717.57 in unpaid rent along with $823 in attorney fees and court costs. Criswell…
Mar 11, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
A couple of quick notes about today’s bracket update: We welcome Delaware, Manhattan, and Wofford as automatic qualifiers. Each punched its ticket Monday night. Unlike some bubble teams, they can rest easy in anticipation of the NCAA Selection Show on Sunday evening. Brigham Young (BYU) survived in overtime to beat San Francisco in the semifinals…
Mar 11, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
As weird as this may sound, the SEC may have more to play for in their conference tournament than any other conference in the country will have. Hear me out. It starts with Kentucky. The Wildcats entered the season as the No. 1 team in the country and have, since then, essentially remained the same…
Mar 11, 2014, 2:52 AM EDT
Three more teams are dancing after tonight’s exhilarating conference tournament action.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:05 AM EDT
There are eight days left until Selection Sunday. Every morning from now until the bracket comes out, we’ll help you get caught up on the happenings with impact on the bubble from the night before. Our latest bracket projection can be found here. Gonzaga: The Zags entered Monday night’s WCC quarterfinal sitting in pretty good…
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
In less than 36 months, Manhattan head coach Steve Masiello has taken the Jaspers from 6-25 to the NCAA tournament.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Get to know the eighth entry into the 2014 NCAA Tournament field, the Wofford Terriers.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:47 PM EDT
Cameron Bairstow spent his offseason toiling in international competition, and return to New Mexico with a chip on his shoulder. After a season spent toying with the other Mountain West frontcourts, Bairstow’s efforts might not get the necessary recognition.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Highlights of Delaware’s win in the CAA title game, as seen on the NBC Sports Network.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
Get to know the sixth entry into the 2014 NCAA Tournament field, the Delaware Blue Hens.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Get to know the fifth entry into the 2014 NCAA Tournament field, the Manhattan Jaspers
Mar 10, 2014, 9:26 PM EDT
Joel Embiid will miss the Big 12 tournament and likely will be out for the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. What does this mean for Kansas?
Mar 10, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
This is great. The bench mob for the Colby College Mules has extensive choreographed sideline celebrations. Their best is the “El Toro Tres Puntos”. Without a doubt. (h/t Colby’s finest)
Mar 10, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
Louisiana Tech is fighting to stay on top of Conference USA after four teams tied atop the league standings with a 13-3 record during the regular season.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The CAA Tournament title will take be played in Baltimore on Monday evening. League champ Delaware will square off with Williams & Mary, who is looking to make their first ever trip to the NCAA tournament. The game will tip off at roughly 7:00 p.m. You can watch the game live on NBC Sports Live Extra. WATCH…
Mar 10, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
UConn’s Shabazz Napier elevates the conversation for the American Athletic Conference’s player of the year discussion.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:57 PM EDT
Despite an arrest for a driving under the influence charge, Oregon State’s Langston Morris-Walker will play in the Pac-12 tournament, and his addition means the Beavers are the conference’s ultimate sleeper pick for a tourney title.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Jason Capel was reportedly fired today, which may put one of the best available class of 2014 recruits on the market again
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Joel Embiid has missed the last two games, and Bill Self shines some light on when the center will next play.
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 5
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)