Nov 27, 2013, 10:35 AM EDT
We’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop with former Maryland assistant coach Dalonte Hill, and on Wednesday, it did.
According to a report from Alex Prewitt of the Washington Post, Hill resigned on Wednesday afternoon as a result of the third DUI that he has gotten in the past five years. Hill was an assistant on the Maryland staff, being hired away from Kansas State when Mark Turgeon took the job. (UPDATE: Maryland has now officially announced the change.)
Hill was formerly a member of the DC Assault AAU program and helped the Wildcats land recruits like Wally Judge, Jamar Samuels and Rodney McGruder. He was first hired because of his association with Michael Beasley. Damonte Dodd, Roddy Peters and Romelo Trimble, a class of 2014 commit, all played for the Assault.
In that report, Prewitt says that Dustin Clark will be officially promoted to assistant coach and that Juan Dixon will be hired as a special assistant to the head coach.
Hill was, at one time, reportedly making more than $400,000, which is a massive number for an assistant coach. He reportedly made $302,000 last season. It’s easy to sit here and crack jokes about a guy that threw away a job paying that much money, but if you cost yourself your career — and a lucrative one at that — as a result of a trio of DUIs, you have a problem. You’re sick. Addiction is not funny in any way. We hope he gets himself better.
It’s worth noting here that one of the other powerful figures from DC Assault, Curtis Malone, is currently facing charges of drug trafficking. It’s been a rough year for the program formerly known as the DC Assault.
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 1
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 9
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 10
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 5
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)