Nov 28, 2013, 3:09 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 4 Arizona 66, Drexel 62
Arizona erased a deficit that reached 19 points at the seven minute mark of the first half, using a 25-4 run to regain the lead and a late surge to take control down the stretch. Drexel got terrific play from their back court of Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat, but the biggest news coming out of this game was that Damion Lee went down with a knee injury midway through the second half. He landed awkwardly on jump shot and immediately went down, grabbing his knee. Those are the kind of injuries that generally don’t end up well.
Anyway, the Wildcats advance to face No. 6 Duke in the final.
1) No. 8 Syracuse won the Maui Invitational, taking home a 74-67 win in the final over No. 18 Baylor. The Orange seem to have hit their stride a bit out in the islands, as C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant both got into a bit of a rhythm offensively. That’s huge considering the fact that a) Trevor Cooney has been shooting the cover off of the ball this season and b) Tyler Ennis has been one of the best possession point guards in the country. As a freshman, he’s got eight turnovers in seven games.
2) Did anyone make more of a statement this week than Dayton? The Flyers wrapped up a terrific Maui Invitational with an 82-64 win over Cal in the third place game. Devon Oliver finished with 21 points in the win, as the Flyers put their name into the conversation for the best team in the Atlantic 10.
3) Jabari Parker went for 27 points on 9-of-12 shooting to lead the No. 6 Blue Devils to a 74-64 win over Alabama to advance to Friday’s final in the Preseason NIT.
1) Sam Dekker led the way for No. 10 Wisconsin with 21 points and 12 boards as the Badgers knocked off West Virginia to win the Cancun Challenge.
2) Derrick Marks went for 39 points as Boise State picked up a 98-89 win over Idaho. He was 9-of-13 from the floor, taking 23 free throws.
3) Kevin Pangos went for 34 points as Gonzaga managed to salvage one relevant win in the Maui Invitational, knocking off Arkansas 91-81.
1) Trevor Releford played far from his best game in Alabama’s loss to Duke, but his first half? Woof. Zero points, zero assists, zero rebounds, four turnovers and three fouls.
2) James Young played 37 minutes in No. 3 Kentucky’s win over Eastern Michigan. He finished with six points and five assists, shooting 1-for-8 from the floor and 0-6 from three.
3) Andre Hollins finished up a disappointing Maui Invitational with an eight point performance against Chaminade. He averaged 11.0 points and just 1.0 assists in the three games, shooting 32.3% (10-31) from the floor and 27.8% (5-18) from three.
- Kelsey Barlow had 38 points on 8-for-11 shooting, adding eight boards and five assists as Illinois-Chicago beat Wagner.
- Dwayne Evans had 21 points as St. Louis beat Old Dominion.
- James Woodard finished with 24 points, hitting the game-winning three with eight seconds left as Tulsa beat Indiana State.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)