Nov 28, 2013, 3:09 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 4 Arizona 66, Drexel 62
Arizona erased a deficit that reached 19 points at the seven minute mark of the first half, using a 25-4 run to regain the lead and a late surge to take control down the stretch. Drexel got terrific play from their back court of Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat, but the biggest news coming out of this game was that Damion Lee went down with a knee injury midway through the second half. He landed awkwardly on jump shot and immediately went down, grabbing his knee. Those are the kind of injuries that generally don’t end up well.
Anyway, the Wildcats advance to face No. 6 Duke in the final.
1) No. 8 Syracuse won the Maui Invitational, taking home a 74-67 win in the final over No. 18 Baylor. The Orange seem to have hit their stride a bit out in the islands, as C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant both got into a bit of a rhythm offensively. That’s huge considering the fact that a) Trevor Cooney has been shooting the cover off of the ball this season and b) Tyler Ennis has been one of the best possession point guards in the country. As a freshman, he’s got eight turnovers in seven games.
2) Did anyone make more of a statement this week than Dayton? The Flyers wrapped up a terrific Maui Invitational with an 82-64 win over Cal in the third place game. Devon Oliver finished with 21 points in the win, as the Flyers put their name into the conversation for the best team in the Atlantic 10.
3) Jabari Parker went for 27 points on 9-of-12 shooting to lead the No. 6 Blue Devils to a 74-64 win over Alabama to advance to Friday’s final in the Preseason NIT.
1) Sam Dekker led the way for No. 10 Wisconsin with 21 points and 12 boards as the Badgers knocked off West Virginia to win the Cancun Challenge.
2) Derrick Marks went for 39 points as Boise State picked up a 98-89 win over Idaho. He was 9-of-13 from the floor, taking 23 free throws.
3) Kevin Pangos went for 34 points as Gonzaga managed to salvage one relevant win in the Maui Invitational, knocking off Arkansas 91-81.
1) Trevor Releford played far from his best game in Alabama’s loss to Duke, but his first half? Woof. Zero points, zero assists, zero rebounds, four turnovers and three fouls.
2) James Young played 37 minutes in No. 3 Kentucky’s win over Eastern Michigan. He finished with six points and five assists, shooting 1-for-8 from the floor and 0-6 from three.
3) Andre Hollins finished up a disappointing Maui Invitational with an eight point performance against Chaminade. He averaged 11.0 points and just 1.0 assists in the three games, shooting 32.3% (10-31) from the floor and 27.8% (5-18) from three.
- Kelsey Barlow had 38 points on 8-for-11 shooting, adding eight boards and five assists as Illinois-Chicago beat Wagner.
- Dwayne Evans had 21 points as St. Louis beat Old Dominion.
- James Woodard finished with 24 points, hitting the game-winning three with eight seconds left as Tulsa beat Indiana State.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:57 AM EDT
According to multiple reports, former Georgetown big Moses Ayegba has decided to transfer to Nebraska.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:17 AM EDT
According to a report, UConn center Amida Brimah will need to undergo surgery on his left shoulder.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
Shaka Smart filled a vacancy on his staff Wednesday, hiring former Vanderbilt assistant David Cason.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Less than a week after making an official visit to the school, it was reported that Malek Harris had committed to Kansas State. But that may not be the case.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:49 PM EDT
Frank Haith announced his coaching staff Wednesday, with the trio combining to have more than 90 seasons of coaching experience.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
UConn and Duke will reportedly play each other just before Christmas in New Jersey.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT
Former St. John’s commit Darrick Wood verbally committed to attend DePaul on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
After playing well in Kentucky’s run to the national title game, Dakari Johnson has decided to return for his sophomore season.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
LSU should have the pieces to be a tournament team in 2014-2015.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
Minnesota landed a commitment from a 6-foot-11 three-star recruit.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:28 PM EDT
Adala Moto was a top 150 recruit in the class of 2012.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
Allen will be one of the keys to Arizona’s season. Click to see why.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Randle talks favorite NBA players and the one-and-done rule.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Kentucky got some good news on Wednesday afternoon.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
He will be eligible immediately.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Not a bad pitch from the UConn star.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
The UTEP coach is now a candidate to replace Frank Haith at Missouri.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Virginia got its fourth commit on Tuesday night.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
A look back on UConn’s second title in four years.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Southern coach is receiving a contract extension.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)