Nov 28, 2013, 3:09 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: No. 4 Arizona 66, Drexel 62
Arizona erased a deficit that reached 19 points at the seven minute mark of the first half, using a 25-4 run to regain the lead and a late surge to take control down the stretch. Drexel got terrific play from their back court of Chris Fouch and Frantz Massenat, but the biggest news coming out of this game was that Damion Lee went down with a knee injury midway through the second half. He landed awkwardly on jump shot and immediately went down, grabbing his knee. Those are the kind of injuries that generally don’t end up well.
Anyway, the Wildcats advance to face No. 6 Duke in the final.
1) No. 8 Syracuse won the Maui Invitational, taking home a 74-67 win in the final over No. 18 Baylor. The Orange seem to have hit their stride a bit out in the islands, as C.J. Fair and Jerami Grant both got into a bit of a rhythm offensively. That’s huge considering the fact that a) Trevor Cooney has been shooting the cover off of the ball this season and b) Tyler Ennis has been one of the best possession point guards in the country. As a freshman, he’s got eight turnovers in seven games.
2) Did anyone make more of a statement this week than Dayton? The Flyers wrapped up a terrific Maui Invitational with an 82-64 win over Cal in the third place game. Devon Oliver finished with 21 points in the win, as the Flyers put their name into the conversation for the best team in the Atlantic 10.
3) Jabari Parker went for 27 points on 9-of-12 shooting to lead the No. 6 Blue Devils to a 74-64 win over Alabama to advance to Friday’s final in the Preseason NIT.
1) Sam Dekker led the way for No. 10 Wisconsin with 21 points and 12 boards as the Badgers knocked off West Virginia to win the Cancun Challenge.
2) Derrick Marks went for 39 points as Boise State picked up a 98-89 win over Idaho. He was 9-of-13 from the floor, taking 23 free throws.
3) Kevin Pangos went for 34 points as Gonzaga managed to salvage one relevant win in the Maui Invitational, knocking off Arkansas 91-81.
1) Trevor Releford played far from his best game in Alabama’s loss to Duke, but his first half? Woof. Zero points, zero assists, zero rebounds, four turnovers and three fouls.
2) James Young played 37 minutes in No. 3 Kentucky’s win over Eastern Michigan. He finished with six points and five assists, shooting 1-for-8 from the floor and 0-6 from three.
3) Andre Hollins finished up a disappointing Maui Invitational with an eight point performance against Chaminade. He averaged 11.0 points and just 1.0 assists in the three games, shooting 32.3% (10-31) from the floor and 27.8% (5-18) from three.
- Kelsey Barlow had 38 points on 8-for-11 shooting, adding eight boards and five assists as Illinois-Chicago beat Wagner.
- Dwayne Evans had 21 points as St. Louis beat Old Dominion.
- James Woodard finished with 24 points, hitting the game-winning three with eight seconds left as Tulsa beat Indiana State.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
UCLA reopened Pauley Pavilion in 2012 after $136 million worth of renovations.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The UCLA campus became flooded on Tuesday afternoon.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is entering his 40th season as a head coach.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Doug Wojcik has been investigated twice by the College of Charleston.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Cal told The Sporting News that he couldn’t leave behind the guys that decided to return to school. Do you buy it?
Jul 29, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
A former UK coach gave his listeners some new details about Willie Cauley-Stein’s injury.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
Malik Monk is a dream come true for the mixtape makers.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
And now they’re considering selling it at football games.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
The Bruins will be tested by the time Pac-12 play rolls around.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Chad Frazier was arrested back in April.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Another surprise cut was made at the point guard spot
Jul 29, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Beyond the glitz and glamour of the highest levels of AAU basketball are kids fighting to land one of a few coveted scholarships.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
The procedure wasn’t know until Agau took to social media.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Richard Pitino likes that he can feed his players now.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Wisconsin got some pretty cool rings for making the Final Four.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
After tearing his ACL less than a year ago, Harry Giles looks healthy and prepared to battle for No. 1 in the Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins will be working with pros this summer.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Seven thoughts are a weekend at AAU Nationals and Super Showcase in Louisville.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
Haley is the first member of Washington’s 2016 recruiting class.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Our Raphielle Johnson spent five days at the tournaments out in Vegas last week. Here are his thoughts on them.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)