Nov 28, 2013, 10:31 PM EDT
Most of the teams participating in this weekend’s Battle 4 Atlantis left cold environments for The Bahamas, and while the change in climate is definitely a bonus it can also affect the players in a negative manner. That was the case for the two best players on the floor during the quarterfinal matchup between Xavier and No. 23 Iowa, with Xavier’s Semaj Christon and Iowa’s Roy Devyn Marble being sidelined due to cramping.
The first player to go down was Christon, who was instrumental in the Musketeers’ ability to control much of the action in the game’s first 30 minutes. With their lead guard unable to contribute Xavier struggled offensively, with Marble (30 points) sparking a Hawkeye rally in the second half. But just as Marble looked poised to push Iowa to the win in regulation he went down with a cramp in his right calf, and the end result was both players missing the extra session.
In the extra session Iowa’s supplementary pieces proved to be more effective, resulting in the Hawkeyes picking up the 77-74 victory. And if there’s anything to be taken out of the result it’s that those players will need to become more consistent if Iowa is to factor into the Big Ten race and earn a bid to the NCAA tournament. Entering the game both Aaron White (13.6 ppg, 7.6 rpg) and Jarrod Uthoff (11.8, 6.8) were averaging double figures, and as a team Iowa was shooting 47.5% from the field.
But against Xavier, which represented their toughest test to date, Iowa shot 35.3% from the field and 6-for-23 from beyond the arc. And players other than Marble (10-for-23) combined to shoot 14-for-45 (31.1%). Marble’s clearly Iowa’s best player, and as he goes so go the Hawkeyes. But if Iowa’s to reach its full potential he can’t be the only one doing the “heavy lifting” against quality opponents. With Marble sidelined Iowa was able to make the plays needed to complete the comeback, rebounding 40% of their missed shots (Gabriel Olaseni grabbed seven of their 20 offensive rebounds), and they’ll need to continue to do so as the schedule gets tougher.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
The junior point guard is one of several banged up Jayhawks.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:06 PM EDT
Eron Harris averaged 17.2 points per game for West Virginia in the 2013-14 season.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson, Harry Giles, Jayson Tatum, Tyler Dorsey and Terrance Ferguson were included in the top plays.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Mike Davis has one of the most entertaining players joining the program.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)