Nov 28, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
Marcus Smart is building a nice little reputation for himself as the best first half player … ever?
Smart scored 24 of his 30 points in the first half of No. 5 Oklahoma State’s 97-87 win over Purdue, hitting 4-for-6 from three and adding four rebounds and four assists. The Pokes led by more than 20 for much of the game before Smart picked up a technical foul in the second half. It was his fourth, and in his absence the Boilermakers were able to cut the lead to 84-80 at one point.
Markel Brown, who finished with 25 points, played the role of closer, hitting a couple of big shots down the stretch, but the story of this game was the fouls.
60 were called in total. Five players in total fouled out, and that doesn’t include Jay Simpson, who was given a Flagrant 2 earlier in the game. Four more players finished the afternoon with four fouls. Smart’s technical? It came after he was called for a horrendous foul by Karl Hess while trying to guard Purdue center A.J. Hammons in the post. Here’s the video. Explain to me why this is a foul on Smart. Why was he guarding Hammons in the post? Because Oklahoma State big men Michael Cobbins and Kamari Murphy both were already in bad foul trouble.
Look, I understand why refs have been told to call games tighter, and I actually agree with the reasoning. Freedom of movement on the offensive end of the floor is a good thing. It makes the game more fun to watch and it brings a level skill back that has been missing. If we wanted to watch rugby, we’d move to Australia.
The problem is that there are times where the refs just get way too ambitious, and this game was a perfect example. Doug Gottlieb has been campaigning as much as anyone about how bad some of these whistles are, and he posted a couple of videos that make his case quite convincingly.
The game needed to be freed up. It’s been turned into a mockery. This needs to be corrected.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)