Nov 28, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
Marcus Smart is building a nice little reputation for himself as the best first half player … ever?
Smart scored 24 of his 30 points in the first half of No. 5 Oklahoma State’s 97-87 win over Purdue, hitting 4-for-6 from three and adding four rebounds and four assists. The Pokes led by more than 20 for much of the game before Smart picked up a technical foul in the second half. It was his fourth, and in his absence the Boilermakers were able to cut the lead to 84-80 at one point.
Markel Brown, who finished with 25 points, played the role of closer, hitting a couple of big shots down the stretch, but the story of this game was the fouls.
60 were called in total. Five players in total fouled out, and that doesn’t include Jay Simpson, who was given a Flagrant 2 earlier in the game. Four more players finished the afternoon with four fouls. Smart’s technical? It came after he was called for a horrendous foul by Karl Hess while trying to guard Purdue center A.J. Hammons in the post. Here’s the video. Explain to me why this is a foul on Smart. Why was he guarding Hammons in the post? Because Oklahoma State big men Michael Cobbins and Kamari Murphy both were already in bad foul trouble.
Look, I understand why refs have been told to call games tighter, and I actually agree with the reasoning. Freedom of movement on the offensive end of the floor is a good thing. It makes the game more fun to watch and it brings a level skill back that has been missing. If we wanted to watch rugby, we’d move to Australia.
The problem is that there are times where the refs just get way too ambitious, and this game was a perfect example. Doug Gottlieb has been campaigning as much as anyone about how bad some of these whistles are, and he posted a couple of videos that make his case quite convincingly.
The game needed to be freed up. It’s been turned into a mockery. This needs to be corrected.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)