Nov 29, 2013, 10:12 PM EST
What a difference a day made for both No. 23 Iowa and UTEP in the semifinals of the Battle 4 Atlantis on Friday night. Iowa struggled offensively for much of the night in their overtime win over Xavier on Thursday, but Fran McCaffery’s team had no such issues against the Miners. As a team the Hawkeyes shot 52.5% from the field with Aaron White (17 points) and Zach McCabe (14) leading four players in double figures in the 89-53 beating.
UTEP was able to confuse Tennessee with a variety of defenses on Thursday, and the Volunteers’ inability to convert shots a close range was also a factor, but they had no such luck against Iowa. Twenty-two of Iowa’s 31 made field goals were of the assisted variety, and they turned the ball over just five times. Iowa advances to Saturday’s final, where they’ll take on either Villanova or No. 2 Kansas, and the win means that Iowa will get a shot at a quality non-conference victory after entering the event without one on their current resume.
Julian Washburn was the lone Miner to reach double figures, scoring 13 points on 4-for-14 shooting. As a team UTEP shot 34.6% from the field and finished with an offensive rebounding percentage of just 15.8%, and given how poorly Tim Floyd’s team shot they needed to find a way to earn some second-chance opportunities. Unable to do so, UTEP suffered their worst loss of the season thus far.
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 1
- Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Burning Questions: Who gets the last shot? (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)