Nov 29, 2013, 2:53 AM EDT
GAME OF THE DAY: George Washington 71, Miami (FL) 63 OT
George Washington blew a lead in the second half, but Joe McDonald’s driving layup tied the game and forced overtime. McDonald hit a big three and had a nice assist to Isaiah Armwood for a dunk in overtime to spark a 10-0 run that put the game away. The Colonials, who got 16 points from Nemanja Mikic, moved to 5-0 on the season and look like another team that could make some noise in the Atlantic 10 this season.
They’ll get a good test in No. 25 Marquette on Friday, but keep in mind: GW is doing all of this without Patricio Garino, who is out with a finger injury.
1) Roy Devyn Marble scored 30 points and sparked Iowa’s comeback from 13 points down in the second half as the Hawkeyes knocked off Xavier 77-74 in overtime in a game that proved the old theory: not every close game is a great game. Iowa needed this win, as they had put up some impressive wins over teams that, frankly, aren’t good.
2) The focus of Thursday at the Battle 4 Atlantis is the bad blood between Andy Enfield and Tim Floyd, but what gets lost in that madness is that UTEP actually put together an impressive win over a good Tennessee team. Four players scored in double figures and the Miners used a slew of junk defenses to stifle the Vols.
3) Andre Stringer went for 18 points and six assists and LSU’s trio of big guys combined for 40 points and 21 boards in an 82-65 win over St. Joe’s.
1) Butler beat Washington State 76-69 thanks to Kellen Dunham and Khyle Marshall. Those two combined for 62 points, shooting 21-34 from the floor. Dunham hit six threes. Rotnei who?
2) Jamil Wilson had 24 points, nine boards and four assists for No. 25 Marquette, but the most notable performance for the Golden Eagles was JaJuan Johnson’s 18 points off the bench. Marquette needs his perimeter scoring pop.
3) Devin Brooks popped off for 23 points off the bench for No. 20 Creighton against Arizona State.
1) The refs were as bad as they’ve been all season in No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue. Watch the videos here. I agree with the need for the new rules, but this is just absurd.
2) Siyani Chambers’ slow start to the season continued on Thursday night, as he went 2-for-9 from the floor with five turnovers. Harvard got the win against Denver, though.
3) Nevada didn’t play the best defense of their season, giving up 105 points to No. 22 UCLA, who shot over 60% from the floor.
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Contender for No. 1 in 2016 class, Harry Giles, cuts list to five 10
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)