Nov 29, 2013, 2:04 AM EDT
Doug McDermott went for 27 points and No. 20 Creighton’s defense held Jahii Carson to 15 points and four assists while forcing him into five turnovers as the Bluejays worked over the Sun Devils, 88-60.
The Bluejays shot 53.4% from the floor and 12-for-25 from three, meaning that, on the season, Creighton is knocking down 59% of their twos and 47% of their threes. That’s a ridiculous number, one made more impressive when you consider that they just did it against an NCAA tournament-caliber team in Arizona State.
But we knew Creighton could shoot. We knew they could score. That’s what they’ve done for the last three years.
The difference with this team, at least on this night, was the defensive end. They were awesome on Thursday, holding Arizona State to 37.9% shooting and 7-for-26 from three. More impressive is that they were able to keep Carson in check. He was just 5-for-12 from the field and turned the ball over five times. That from a team that ranked 95th in defensive efficiency, according to Kenpom.
They still have issues in the post on that end, but it’s a good thing if they can slow down dynamic perimeter players.
The other difference?
Devin Brooks. He went for 23 points on 9-of-11 shooting, hitting all four of this threes. A 6-foot-2 JuCo transfer, he brings a different element to Creighton’s perimeter, one that relies almost strictly on Grant Gibbs and spot-up jump-shooters.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)