Nov 29, 2013, 2:04 AM EST
Doug McDermott went for 27 points and No. 20 Creighton’s defense held Jahii Carson to 15 points and four assists while forcing him into five turnovers as the Bluejays worked over the Sun Devils, 88-60.
The Bluejays shot 53.4% from the floor and 12-for-25 from three, meaning that, on the season, Creighton is knocking down 59% of their twos and 47% of their threes. That’s a ridiculous number, one made more impressive when you consider that they just did it against an NCAA tournament-caliber team in Arizona State.
But we knew Creighton could shoot. We knew they could score. That’s what they’ve done for the last three years.
The difference with this team, at least on this night, was the defensive end. They were awesome on Thursday, holding Arizona State to 37.9% shooting and 7-for-26 from three. More impressive is that they were able to keep Carson in check. He was just 5-for-12 from the field and turned the ball over five times. That from a team that ranked 95th in defensive efficiency, according to Kenpom.
They still have issues in the post on that end, but it’s a good thing if they can slow down dynamic perimeter players.
The other difference?
Devin Brooks. He went for 23 points on 9-of-11 shooting, hitting all four of this threes. A 6-foot-2 JuCo transfer, he brings a different element to Creighton’s perimeter, one that relies almost strictly on Grant Gibbs and spot-up jump-shooters.
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 3
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Sophomore forward Semi Ojeleye to transfer from Duke (3)