Nov 29, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
If there’s one thing that the West Coast Conference can boast about it’s good guard play, with a number of teams being led by outstanding perimeter players. One of those programs was San Francisco, with senior point guard Cody Doolin being one of the league’s most experienced players.
On the heels of a season in which he averaged 12.2 points and 5.6 assists per game as a junior, Doolin was expected to team up with senior power forward Cole Dickerson and help the Dons improve on last season’s 15-16 record (7-9 WCC). But that won’t be the case, as Doolin and the school announced on Tuesday that he is no longer a member of the basketball program.
The decision caught many by surprise, and on Wednesday San Francisco AD Scott Sidwell discussed the reason as to why Doolin made the decision to forego the remainder of his senior campaign.
Cody Doolin’s departure from the Dons’ program came after taking the brunt of an altercation with a teammate at practice Nov. 19, USF athletic director Scott Sidwell confirmed Wednesday.
“Tempers flared, it went too far and unfortunately, there was an altercation that ensued,” Sidwell said in a phone interview. “And at the end of the day, we want to make sure that our student athletes know and our coaches know that that’s not acceptable.
“We’re going to take corrective measures to make sure that this never happens again.”
Doolin (he’ll remain in school to complete his degree in finance), who was averaging 13.0 points and 7.0 assists in the four games prior to his departure, has been replaced in the starting lineup by sophomore guard Tim Derksen. Derksen, who was one of the WCC’s best freshmen last season, is averaging 8.1 points and 2.6 rebounds per game with Penn State transfer Matt Glover taking over the role of primary ball-handler. Glover’s averaging a team-best 3.3 assists per game with an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.3.
The Dons host Vermont on Friday night.
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)