Dec 1, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
Butler looked really good in their trip to the Old Spice Classic this week.
The Bulldogs were expected to fall off this season, which is what happens when you lose the likes of Rotnei Clarke, Andrew Smith and some guy named Brad Stevens, but they looked nothing like a pushover in a win over Washington State and two point losses to No. 5 Oklahoma State and LSU in overtime.
At the very least, Brandon Miller’s team looks like they will be competitive in the Big East. I don’t think it’s crazy to say that Butler looked like an NCAA tournament team. They played that well.
But they lost, blowing two chances at notching a quality non-conference. That’s a problem, because there really aren’t that many other good wins on their schedule. North Dakota isn’t bad, but they aren’t even the best team in the Big Sky. Purdue is a Big Ten team, but they aren’t going to finish in the top half of that league.
And that’s it.
The good news for Butler is that they play in the Big East this season which means that they’ll have chances to build up their resume in conference play. But coming up short against both the Cowboys and the Tigers means that Butler is going to have that much more work to do if they want to get a bid.
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 4
- Bracketology: Florida in driver’s seat for overall No. 1 seed 4
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans 8
- Bubble Banter: Nebraska’s marquee win, St. Joseph’s problematic loss 0
- Turnovers help Ohio State beat No. 22 Michigan State in regular season finale 1
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (10)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)