Dec 1, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
Butler looked really good in their trip to the Old Spice Classic this week.
The Bulldogs were expected to fall off this season, which is what happens when you lose the likes of Rotnei Clarke, Andrew Smith and some guy named Brad Stevens, but they looked nothing like a pushover in a win over Washington State and two point losses to No. 5 Oklahoma State and LSU in overtime.
At the very least, Brandon Miller’s team looks like they will be competitive in the Big East. I don’t think it’s crazy to say that Butler looked like an NCAA tournament team. They played that well.
But they lost, blowing two chances at notching a quality non-conference. That’s a problem, because there really aren’t that many other good wins on their schedule. North Dakota isn’t bad, but they aren’t even the best team in the Big Sky. Purdue is a Big Ten team, but they aren’t going to finish in the top half of that league.
And that’s it.
The good news for Butler is that they play in the Big East this season which means that they’ll have chances to build up their resume in conference play. But coming up short against both the Cowboys and the Tigers means that Butler is going to have that much more work to do if they want to get a bid.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)