Dec 1, 2013, 5:43 PM EST
Butler looked really good in their trip to the Old Spice Classic this week.
The Bulldogs were expected to fall off this season, which is what happens when you lose the likes of Rotnei Clarke, Andrew Smith and some guy named Brad Stevens, but they looked nothing like a pushover in a win over Washington State and two point losses to No. 5 Oklahoma State and LSU in overtime.
At the very least, Brandon Miller’s team looks like they will be competitive in the Big East. I don’t think it’s crazy to say that Butler looked like an NCAA tournament team. They played that well.
But they lost, blowing two chances at notching a quality non-conference. That’s a problem, because there really aren’t that many other good wins on their schedule. North Dakota isn’t bad, but they aren’t even the best team in the Big Sky. Purdue is a Big Ten team, but they aren’t going to finish in the top half of that league.
And that’s it.
The good news for Butler is that they play in the Big East this season which means that they’ll have chances to build up their resume in conference play. But coming up short against both the Cowboys and the Tigers means that Butler is going to have that much more work to do if they want to get a bid.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)