Dec 2, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
There was quite a bit of shuffling in the top 25 this week, as eight of the teams featured in last Monday’s top 25 took a loss, including three of the top ten. That opened the door for teams like Syracuse and Ohio State to climb their way into the top five.
At the other end of the scale, Villanova and San Diego State snuck their way into the rankings after winning the Battle 4 Atlantis and the Wooden Legacy, respectively.
Any questions? Concerns? Commentary on why I hate your team and love your rival? Get at me in the comments below.
1. Michigan State (7-0, last week: No. 1): The Spartans weren’t challenged in their only game last week, rolling over Mt. St. Mary’s. One thing to keep an eye on: Gary Harris didn’t play due to his ankle injury.
2. Arizona (7-0, LW: No. 4): I actually think that, right now, Arizona is the best team in the country after they beat Drexel and Duke at the Garden. That said, it’s tough to drop the No. 1 team if they didn’t lose a game.
3. Kentucky (7-1, LW: No. 3): The Wildcats are still a work-in-progress, but you can see the progress being made.
4. Syracuse (7-0, LW: No. 9): The Orange rolled through Maui this week, picking up wins over Cal and No. 17 Baylor in the process. Tyler Ennis hasn’t gotten the headlines, but he’s been sensational this season.
5. Ohio State (6-0, LW: No. 6): The Buckeyes have been sensational defensively. But they are having some trouble offensively. LaQuinton Ross, before his 17-point outburst on Friday: 6.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 22.7% FG, 22.2% 3PT.
6. Louisville (6-1, No. 8): The Cardinals bounced back from their loss to North Carolina by smacking around Southern Miss on Friday night.
7. Duke (6-2, LW: No. 6): They don’t have ideal size up front, but there are very few teams that can matchup with Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood.
8. Kansas (6-1, LW: No. 2): The Jayhawks struggled their way to a third-place finish at the Battle 4 Atlantis and doing so in less-than-impressive fashion. They lost to Villanova and barely hung on to beat Wake Forest and UTEP.
9. Wisconsin (8-0, LW: No. 10): Sam Dekker looks like he’s fully embracing the role of being the star for the Badgers. We’ll know a lot more about this team after they play at Virginia at home against Marquette this week.
10. Oklahoma State (7-1, LW: No. 5): The Pokes lost to Memphis in the finals of the Old Spice Classic this week as Marcus Smart finally looked human.
11. UConn (7-0, LW: No. 11)
12. Wichita State (8-0, LW: No. 13)
13. Oregon (7-0, LW: No. 12)
14. Villanova (7-0, LW: UR)
15. Memphis (5-1, LW: UR)
16. UCLA (7-0, LW: No. 18)
17. Florida (6-1, LW: No. 16)
18. Baylor (7-1, LW: No. 17)
19. Virginia (7-1, LW: No. 19)
20. Iowa State (5-0, LW: No. 20)
21. Gonzaga (7-1, LW: No. 14)
22. Iowa (7-1, LW: No. 21)
23. Indiana (6-1, LW: No. 23)
24. UMass (6-0, LW: No. 24)
25. San Diego State (5-1, LW: UR)
Jul 31, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mary Willingham’s lawsuit came to light in early July, with the NCAA deciding to reopen its investigation at around the same time.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
The explosive shooting guard’s new school is located in Napa, California.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The court will be redesigned by the end of the month.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
There are three: white, black and grey.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Blackwell is a member of the Class of 2016 but is already hearing from some notable programs.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Where have all the NYC Point Gods gone?
Jul 31, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Brunson is the father of a top 15 recruit and a potential hire for a program in the AAC.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Wichita State is coming off of a Final Four and an undefeated regular season. What happens if they can’t match that success again?
Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
It’s the second time Hill has donated a million to the school
Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Mitchell played as well as anyone in the country this July
Jul 31, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
It’s not that strong, but it could have been much worse.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Walker has spent the last 13 seasons at his alma mater.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:32 PM EDT
The highly athletic wing is back on the market, but he’s yet to be cleared academically.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:17 PM EDT
The Bulldogs succeeded in keeping a talented in-state product home.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Mayo’s decision means that Marquette has to replace its top four scorers from last season.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT
Just over a month after landing a junior college guard, the Rebels have their second commit in the Class of 2015.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
UCLA is holding out hope that John Wooden Court can be salvaged, but if not they’ll have time to replace it.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Larrier is the best recruit that Shaka Smart has landed at VCU.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:51 PM EDT
After averaging 16.0 points per game as a freshman, the South Plains College guard is looking to become a better lead guard as a sophomore.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
It’s Dayton’s third commitment from the Class of 2015
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)