Dec 2, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
There was quite a bit of shuffling in the top 25 this week, as eight of the teams featured in last Monday’s top 25 took a loss, including three of the top ten. That opened the door for teams like Syracuse and Ohio State to climb their way into the top five.
At the other end of the scale, Villanova and San Diego State snuck their way into the rankings after winning the Battle 4 Atlantis and the Wooden Legacy, respectively.
Any questions? Concerns? Commentary on why I hate your team and love your rival? Get at me in the comments below.
1. Michigan State (7-0, last week: No. 1): The Spartans weren’t challenged in their only game last week, rolling over Mt. St. Mary’s. One thing to keep an eye on: Gary Harris didn’t play due to his ankle injury.
2. Arizona (7-0, LW: No. 4): I actually think that, right now, Arizona is the best team in the country after they beat Drexel and Duke at the Garden. That said, it’s tough to drop the No. 1 team if they didn’t lose a game.
3. Kentucky (7-1, LW: No. 3): The Wildcats are still a work-in-progress, but you can see the progress being made.
4. Syracuse (7-0, LW: No. 9): The Orange rolled through Maui this week, picking up wins over Cal and No. 17 Baylor in the process. Tyler Ennis hasn’t gotten the headlines, but he’s been sensational this season.
5. Ohio State (6-0, LW: No. 6): The Buckeyes have been sensational defensively. But they are having some trouble offensively. LaQuinton Ross, before his 17-point outburst on Friday: 6.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 22.7% FG, 22.2% 3PT.
6. Louisville (6-1, No. 8): The Cardinals bounced back from their loss to North Carolina by smacking around Southern Miss on Friday night.
7. Duke (6-2, LW: No. 6): They don’t have ideal size up front, but there are very few teams that can matchup with Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood.
8. Kansas (6-1, LW: No. 2): The Jayhawks struggled their way to a third-place finish at the Battle 4 Atlantis and doing so in less-than-impressive fashion. They lost to Villanova and barely hung on to beat Wake Forest and UTEP.
9. Wisconsin (8-0, LW: No. 10): Sam Dekker looks like he’s fully embracing the role of being the star for the Badgers. We’ll know a lot more about this team after they play at Virginia at home against Marquette this week.
10. Oklahoma State (7-1, LW: No. 5): The Pokes lost to Memphis in the finals of the Old Spice Classic this week as Marcus Smart finally looked human.
11. UConn (7-0, LW: No. 11)
12. Wichita State (8-0, LW: No. 13)
13. Oregon (7-0, LW: No. 12)
14. Villanova (7-0, LW: UR)
15. Memphis (5-1, LW: UR)
16. UCLA (7-0, LW: No. 18)
17. Florida (6-1, LW: No. 16)
18. Baylor (7-1, LW: No. 17)
19. Virginia (7-1, LW: No. 19)
20. Iowa State (5-0, LW: No. 20)
21. Gonzaga (7-1, LW: No. 14)
22. Iowa (7-1, LW: No. 21)
23. Indiana (6-1, LW: No. 23)
24. UMass (6-0, LW: No. 24)
25. San Diego State (5-1, LW: UR)
Apr 26, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Collins averaged 7.1 points and 5.2 assists per game last season, and his arrival could lead to Alex Caruso getting more scoring opportunities off the ball.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
Robinson has quite the rebuilding job on his hands, but guard LeAntwan Luckett (16.3 ppg) is one of the team’s top four scorers who have eligibility remaining.
Apr 26, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Dominic Green was released from his National Letter of Intent to Arizona State a couple weeks ago.
Apr 26, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
In addition to making graduates sit out a year, there’s also consideration of the idea that schools can restrict where they can go.
Apr 26, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Nick Noskowiak joins former Arkansas guard Nick Babb as players who have committed to Iowa State this month.
Apr 26, 2015, 2:29 PM EDT
Skinner was the longtime coach of Boston College.
Apr 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Avery Johnson is touring with Nick Saban to get more familiar with being a head coach at Alabama.
UAA Day 2: The return of Seventh Woods; Markelle Fultz is the real deal; Josh Jackson’s up-and-down day
Apr 26, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
The Under Armour Association has plenty of talented players in its league this season, including former mixtape star Seventh Woods and the No. 1 player in the Class of 2016, Josh Jackson.
Apr 26, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Malik Monk had a dominating effort on Saturday while Harry Giles didn’t make much of an impact.
Apr 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Josh Jackson went for 41 points, seven assists and six rebounds at the Under Armour Association.
Apr 26, 2015, 8:54 AM EDT
Ferrell would have been a second round pick.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:19 PM EDT
Taylor averaged 13.1 points and 4.6 assists per game last season, and his decision to return is a nice boost for head coach Shaka Smart.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Graduate students Max Bielfeldt and Tyler Harris were in Ames this weekend, as was former Marquette commit Nick Noskowiak.
Wisconsin’s Josh Gasser, Duje Dukan serve as honorary coaches for football team’s spring game (VIDEO)
Apr 25, 2015, 8:55 PM EDT
Gasser’s team beat Dukan’s by the final score of 35-7.
Apr 25, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Turner won MAC Rookie of the Year honors in 2013-14.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:59 PM EDT
Junior Etou averaged 7.4 points and 6.6 rebounds per game last season.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:33 PM EDT
King averaged 7.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game last season at Memphis.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
Thornton will fill the void left by Tyus Jones at the point.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Oregon landed a commitment from a former San Diego State pledge.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Maryland returns another reserve guard for next season.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)