Dec 2, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
There was quite a bit of shuffling in the top 25 this week, as eight of the teams featured in last Monday’s top 25 took a loss, including three of the top ten. That opened the door for teams like Syracuse and Ohio State to climb their way into the top five.
At the other end of the scale, Villanova and San Diego State snuck their way into the rankings after winning the Battle 4 Atlantis and the Wooden Legacy, respectively.
Any questions? Concerns? Commentary on why I hate your team and love your rival? Get at me in the comments below.
1. Michigan State (7-0, last week: No. 1): The Spartans weren’t challenged in their only game last week, rolling over Mt. St. Mary’s. One thing to keep an eye on: Gary Harris didn’t play due to his ankle injury.
2. Arizona (7-0, LW: No. 4): I actually think that, right now, Arizona is the best team in the country after they beat Drexel and Duke at the Garden. That said, it’s tough to drop the No. 1 team if they didn’t lose a game.
3. Kentucky (7-1, LW: No. 3): The Wildcats are still a work-in-progress, but you can see the progress being made.
4. Syracuse (7-0, LW: No. 9): The Orange rolled through Maui this week, picking up wins over Cal and No. 17 Baylor in the process. Tyler Ennis hasn’t gotten the headlines, but he’s been sensational this season.
5. Ohio State (6-0, LW: No. 6): The Buckeyes have been sensational defensively. But they are having some trouble offensively. LaQuinton Ross, before his 17-point outburst on Friday: 6.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 22.7% FG, 22.2% 3PT.
6. Louisville (6-1, No. 8): The Cardinals bounced back from their loss to North Carolina by smacking around Southern Miss on Friday night.
7. Duke (6-2, LW: No. 6): They don’t have ideal size up front, but there are very few teams that can matchup with Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood.
8. Kansas (6-1, LW: No. 2): The Jayhawks struggled their way to a third-place finish at the Battle 4 Atlantis and doing so in less-than-impressive fashion. They lost to Villanova and barely hung on to beat Wake Forest and UTEP.
9. Wisconsin (8-0, LW: No. 10): Sam Dekker looks like he’s fully embracing the role of being the star for the Badgers. We’ll know a lot more about this team after they play at Virginia at home against Marquette this week.
10. Oklahoma State (7-1, LW: No. 5): The Pokes lost to Memphis in the finals of the Old Spice Classic this week as Marcus Smart finally looked human.
11. UConn (7-0, LW: No. 11)
12. Wichita State (8-0, LW: No. 13)
13. Oregon (7-0, LW: No. 12)
14. Villanova (7-0, LW: UR)
15. Memphis (5-1, LW: UR)
16. UCLA (7-0, LW: No. 18)
17. Florida (6-1, LW: No. 16)
18. Baylor (7-1, LW: No. 17)
19. Virginia (7-1, LW: No. 19)
20. Iowa State (5-0, LW: No. 20)
21. Gonzaga (7-1, LW: No. 14)
22. Iowa (7-1, LW: No. 21)
23. Indiana (6-1, LW: No. 23)
24. UMass (6-0, LW: No. 24)
25. San Diego State (5-1, LW: UR)
Sep 23, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Breanna Stewart is the lone current college player among the finalists, with the team playing one final exhibition before the world championships begin September 27.
Sep 23, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
The former Virginia Tech big man will work hard in 2014-15 with an eye towards being a primary option in 2015-16.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
De’Aaron Fox is one to watch in the 2016 class.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Purdue is offering to sell old game films using a company that hopes to do the same with over 600 colleges.
Sep 22, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
Florida State added a big man in 2015 to go along with its three talented perimeter threats.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The Wolfpack have some new threads for the upcoming season.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Creighton picked up a point guard in the 2015 class on Monday.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit
Sep 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
News and notes from around the world of college basketball recruiting.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
The image places alongside a column on the recent USA Basketball debate caused an uproar in the Bluegrass State.
Sep 22, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings’ young team will play away from Nashville three times before the start of SEC play, with two of those games being played on a neutral court.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
The St. Anthony product is a valuable recruit for each of the remaining schools, as they all have the eventual loss of current seniors to account for.
Sep 22, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
Having landed commitments from three forwards, the Flyers added a piece for their backcourt on Monday.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The Simeon HS forward officially visited Nebraska this weekend, and both of his parents attended the school as well.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:26 AM EDT
Fans have three different designs from which to choose, with the winning option scheduled to be revealed next Monday.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Tigers, who won 25 games last season, landed their first commitment in the Class of 2015 Sunday night.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
With both Pierria Henry and Terrence Williams being seniors, Charlotte needed to add a perimeter player in 2015.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
URI head coach Dan Hurley landed his second 2015 commitment Sunday evening.
Sep 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
Danny Manning finally has his first 2015 commitment and the player’s a very important one with regard to the future of the program.
Sep 21, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT
The Vikings have added some depth to their front court for the 2015-16 season.
Sep 21, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
The Shockers won’t lack for capable leaders this season, and their newcomers have followed the lead of those veterans in the weight room.
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0
- Wake Forest lands four-star point guard in Class of 2015 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 2
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Watch Kentucky fans sprinting to line up for Big Blue Madness tickets (VIDEO) (2)
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference (2)