Dec 2, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT
There was quite a bit of shuffling in the top 25 this week, as eight of the teams featured in last Monday’s top 25 took a loss, including three of the top ten. That opened the door for teams like Syracuse and Ohio State to climb their way into the top five.
At the other end of the scale, Villanova and San Diego State snuck their way into the rankings after winning the Battle 4 Atlantis and the Wooden Legacy, respectively.
Any questions? Concerns? Commentary on why I hate your team and love your rival? Get at me in the comments below.
1. Michigan State (7-0, last week: No. 1): The Spartans weren’t challenged in their only game last week, rolling over Mt. St. Mary’s. One thing to keep an eye on: Gary Harris didn’t play due to his ankle injury.
2. Arizona (7-0, LW: No. 4): I actually think that, right now, Arizona is the best team in the country after they beat Drexel and Duke at the Garden. That said, it’s tough to drop the No. 1 team if they didn’t lose a game.
3. Kentucky (7-1, LW: No. 3): The Wildcats are still a work-in-progress, but you can see the progress being made.
4. Syracuse (7-0, LW: No. 9): The Orange rolled through Maui this week, picking up wins over Cal and No. 17 Baylor in the process. Tyler Ennis hasn’t gotten the headlines, but he’s been sensational this season.
5. Ohio State (6-0, LW: No. 6): The Buckeyes have been sensational defensively. But they are having some trouble offensively. LaQuinton Ross, before his 17-point outburst on Friday: 6.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 22.7% FG, 22.2% 3PT.
6. Louisville (6-1, No. 8): The Cardinals bounced back from their loss to North Carolina by smacking around Southern Miss on Friday night.
7. Duke (6-2, LW: No. 6): They don’t have ideal size up front, but there are very few teams that can matchup with Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood.
8. Kansas (6-1, LW: No. 2): The Jayhawks struggled their way to a third-place finish at the Battle 4 Atlantis and doing so in less-than-impressive fashion. They lost to Villanova and barely hung on to beat Wake Forest and UTEP.
9. Wisconsin (8-0, LW: No. 10): Sam Dekker looks like he’s fully embracing the role of being the star for the Badgers. We’ll know a lot more about this team after they play at Virginia at home against Marquette this week.
10. Oklahoma State (7-1, LW: No. 5): The Pokes lost to Memphis in the finals of the Old Spice Classic this week as Marcus Smart finally looked human.
11. UConn (7-0, LW: No. 11)
12. Wichita State (8-0, LW: No. 13)
13. Oregon (7-0, LW: No. 12)
14. Villanova (7-0, LW: UR)
15. Memphis (5-1, LW: UR)
16. UCLA (7-0, LW: No. 18)
17. Florida (6-1, LW: No. 16)
18. Baylor (7-1, LW: No. 17)
19. Virginia (7-1, LW: No. 19)
20. Iowa State (5-0, LW: No. 20)
21. Gonzaga (7-1, LW: No. 14)
22. Iowa (7-1, LW: No. 21)
23. Indiana (6-1, LW: No. 23)
24. UMass (6-0, LW: No. 24)
25. San Diego State (5-1, LW: UR)
Apr 23, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
Kentucky got some good news on Wednesday afternoon.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT
He will be eligible immediately.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Not a bad pitch from the UConn star.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
The UTEP coach is now a candidate to replace Frank Haith at Missouri.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Virginia got its fourth commit on Tuesday night.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
A look back on UConn’s second title in four years.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The Southern coach is receiving a contract extension.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Loyd is converting from point guard to wide receiver.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Bulls announced the fifth departure this spring.
Apr 22, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 22, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Andrew Wiggins is the most searched athlete in two states, according to a recent study.
Apr 22, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Ron Hunter is loading up on talented transfers
Apr 22, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Auburn will accept the punishment that has been given to Pearl by the NCAA.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Kentucky is still waiting for a decision from four players.
Apr 22, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Darius is the younger brother of former Illini guard Brandon Paul.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
The ACC schedule is what happens when leagues get too big.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is the best big man in a loaded class of bigs, according to Rivals.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
K.J. McDaniels might win an NBA dunk contest one day.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Cauley-Stein will be out for a couple of months.
Apr 21, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Indiana assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Kenny Johnson is moving on to Louisville.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)