Dec 2, 2013, 9:35 AM EST
There was quite a bit of shuffling in the top 25 this week, as eight of the teams featured in last Monday’s top 25 took a loss, including three of the top ten. That opened the door for teams like Syracuse and Ohio State to climb their way into the top five.
At the other end of the scale, Villanova and San Diego State snuck their way into the rankings after winning the Battle 4 Atlantis and the Wooden Legacy, respectively.
Any questions? Concerns? Commentary on why I hate your team and love your rival? Get at me in the comments below.
1. Michigan State (7-0, last week: No. 1): The Spartans weren’t challenged in their only game last week, rolling over Mt. St. Mary’s. One thing to keep an eye on: Gary Harris didn’t play due to his ankle injury.
2. Arizona (7-0, LW: No. 4): I actually think that, right now, Arizona is the best team in the country after they beat Drexel and Duke at the Garden. That said, it’s tough to drop the No. 1 team if they didn’t lose a game.
3. Kentucky (7-1, LW: No. 3): The Wildcats are still a work-in-progress, but you can see the progress being made.
4. Syracuse (7-0, LW: No. 9): The Orange rolled through Maui this week, picking up wins over Cal and No. 17 Baylor in the process. Tyler Ennis hasn’t gotten the headlines, but he’s been sensational this season.
5. Ohio State (6-0, LW: No. 6): The Buckeyes have been sensational defensively. But they are having some trouble offensively. LaQuinton Ross, before his 17-point outburst on Friday: 6.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 22.7% FG, 22.2% 3PT.
6. Louisville (6-1, No. 8): The Cardinals bounced back from their loss to North Carolina by smacking around Southern Miss on Friday night.
7. Duke (6-2, LW: No. 6): They don’t have ideal size up front, but there are very few teams that can matchup with Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood.
8. Kansas (6-1, LW: No. 2): The Jayhawks struggled their way to a third-place finish at the Battle 4 Atlantis and doing so in less-than-impressive fashion. They lost to Villanova and barely hung on to beat Wake Forest and UTEP.
9. Wisconsin (8-0, LW: No. 10): Sam Dekker looks like he’s fully embracing the role of being the star for the Badgers. We’ll know a lot more about this team after they play at Virginia at home against Marquette this week.
10. Oklahoma State (7-1, LW: No. 5): The Pokes lost to Memphis in the finals of the Old Spice Classic this week as Marcus Smart finally looked human.
11. UConn (7-0, LW: No. 11)
12. Wichita State (8-0, LW: No. 13)
13. Oregon (7-0, LW: No. 12)
14. Villanova (7-0, LW: UR)
15. Memphis (5-1, LW: UR)
16. UCLA (7-0, LW: No. 18)
17. Florida (6-1, LW: No. 16)
18. Baylor (7-1, LW: No. 17)
19. Virginia (7-1, LW: No. 19)
20. Iowa State (5-0, LW: No. 20)
21. Gonzaga (7-1, LW: No. 14)
22. Iowa (7-1, LW: No. 21)
23. Indiana (6-1, LW: No. 23)
24. UMass (6-0, LW: No. 24)
25. San Diego State (5-1, LW: UR)
Nov 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Florida will be without a key guard for at least a few games.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
More depth is coming for the Aggies.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
A solid Saturday slate features multiple ranked teams in action.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
A tremendous story continues to get better as Lauren Hill surprised teammates and fans by checking into her second college basketball game and scoring again on Friday night.
Nov 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
Cornell shouldn’t have given D.J. Newbill a chance.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:55 PM EST
Here is everything you need to know from Friday night hoops.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Florida nearly coughed up another win on Friday.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EST
Like the rest of the 2011 recruiting class, Jonathan Holmes could have left Texas. Instead he made the decision to stay, and he and the Longhorns are better because of it.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:17 PM EST
Justin Anderson led all scorers with 18.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
Syracuse is in this position because Tyler Ennis turned out to be better than anyone expected.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EST
Isaiah Taylor injured his left wrist on a hard fall with just over two minutes remaining in Texas’ win over Iowa Thursday night.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:52 PM EST
The Mountaineers and Huskies will meet on Sunday.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
Kansas hosts Rider on Monday night.
Clemson gets technical foul for calling a timeout it doesn’t have, coughs up game to Gardner Webb (VIDEO)
Nov 21, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
This has been a disastrous week for the Tigers.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
UConn will play the winner of Boston College-West Virginia.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Let’s just say that we aren’t too fond of the current shot clock or the rules regarding hanging on the rim.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
Mississippi State’s taken steps forward when it comes to improving the depth and talent in their program.
CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Arizona’s interior depth, Oklahoma gets rolling, another Memphis recruit reclassifies
Nov 21, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
News and notes on the world of college basketball recruiting.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:53 PM EST
Two of the four writers picked Indiana as a team that can surprise people in the Big Ten.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:02 PM EST
Less than a week after TaShawn Thomas was cleared to play, Danuel House received the good news regarding his waiver request.
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 0
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)